• ‚Äč
    • Share to Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Email
    • Print

Donations FAQ

The Humane Society of the United States

General FAQ
Membership FAQ
Donations FAQ
T-shirts, notecards and address labels (mail order gifts) FAQ

Donations FAQ

Does The HSUS offer matching gifts?

Yes. Click here to find out whether your company has a qualifying program, get the form from your employer, and then make your donation online or send us a check through the mail.

Then send your completed and signed form, along with your check or a copy of your online donation receipt, to The HSUS, Dept: Matching Gifts, 2100 L St. NW, Washington, DC 20037. We'll take care of the rest.

Can I make a donation in honor of a person or special event?

Yes! Through the Hip Hip Humane! program, you can celebrate a special friend or special occasions such as birthdays, holidays, and weddings. An acknowledgment card will be sent to the gift membership recipient. Cards can even be sent on behalf of pets to humans and other furry friends. Now, dogs can send birthday cards, and cats can send holiday cards! There is no minimum donation for Hip Hip Humane! For additional information, call 866-MY-FRIEND, or email us at hiphiphumane@humanesociety.org.

Can I make a donation in memory of a family member or pet?

The Kindred Spirits memorial program is a meaningful way to honor the memory of a person or pet, while helping to protect all animals. There is no minimum donation required for Kindred Spirits. The HSUS will send a sympathy card to the designated person or family acknowledging your donation. As a lasting tribute, the name of the deceased will be added to the Book of Kindred Spirits located in The HSUS's national operations center in Gaithersburg, Md. For additional information, call 866-MY-FRIEND.

I'd like to give regularly. Does The HSUS have a monthly donation program?

The HSUS offers a monthly donation pledge program for supporting members. Set up a monthly giving plan online right now. It's the quickest and easiest way to help animals every month. Don't feel comfortable donating online? Then we offer two other options: Members can sign up for automatic deductions from their credit card or checking account. If you would prefer to send in your donation, The HSUS provides supporting members with monthly reminder statements. For more information about these two "offline" monthly pledge programs, call us at 866-720-2676, or email us at donorcare@humanesociety.org.

I already participate in the Humane Heroes monthly giving program. How do I change my donation preferences or account information? 

If you are a monthly supporter online, simply click on the link at the bottom of any email you receive from us to update your donation preferences or account information. If you participate in the Humane Heroes monthly giving program, please call us at 866-720-2676, or email donorcare@humanesociety.org to change or update your account information.

What is The HSUS's tax ID number?

The HSUS's tax identification number is 53-0225390.

How do I request a receipt to document my donation?

The HSUS does not send receipts for individual donations under $75 unless specifically requested. Individuals who have made a one-time donation of $75 or more automatically receive a receipt. If you would like to receive a receipt for a single donation you made to The HSUS, please call our membership department at 866-720-2676 and we can mail you a receipt.

Members who donate online automatically receive a donation receipt sent to their registered email account each time their donations are processed online. Online donors also have the ability to log into their online profile pages and view their online donation history.

How do I cancel my monthly donation?

Your monthly donation may be cancelled by contacting our Donor Care team at 1-866-720-2676 Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. or Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

I participate in the Humane Heroes monthly giving program, but I also make additional contributions to The HSUS. Will the monthly statement show all my gifts?

Your monthly statement will only indicate whether or not the previous month's Humane Heroes donation was made. If you would like to pay for multiple months, please indicate this on your statement, and we will credit your record accordingly. Otherwise, your statement will only be credited for the designated month. If you respond to a different HSUS mailing, the donation will be credited to your general membership record, and not to your Humane Heroes statement. For a receipt showing all donations to The HSUS, please contact us at 866-720-2676, or send an email to donorcare@humanesociety.org. Be sure to include your full name and address.

If I donate monthly through an automatic debit, can I still receive The HSUS's mailings?

Yes. You will continue to receive regular HSUS correspondence. Rest assured that as a member of the Humane Heroes monthly giving program, your membership will always be considered current. If, however, you would like to receive fewer mailings, please contact us by phone, email, or conventional mail (866-720-2676; donorcare@humanesociety.org; HSUS, 2100 L St., NW, Washington, D.C. 20037).

Can I donate through my workplace?

Yes. If your company offers workplace giving, such as America's Charities or United Way, you should contact your Human Resources representative for enrollment materials. Please note that your company may or may not supply The HSUS with all the information we require to credit you for your gift. You should confirm with your company that the donations, as well as your name and address, are being submitted as requested.

Does The HSUS accept matching gifts from my employer?

Yes. First check with your employer regarding the rules of the program and any possible restrictions. Then please forward your employer's matching gift form, along with your donation, to The HSUS at 2100 L St., NW, Washington, D.C., 20037, Attn: Matching Gifts Program.

Do you participate in the Combined Federal Campaign, and, if so, what is your number?

The HSUS does participate in the Combined Federal Campaign. Our number is 11894. See your Human Resources department to enroll in this program.