March 23, 2012
The HSUS Faith Advisory Council
The council includes leading scholars, representatives from a range of religious denominations and faiths
The Humane Society of the United States' Faith Advisory Council is an impressive collection of leading scholars and representatives from a range of religious denominations, faiths, and backgrounds.
“Religious leaders have led the way in confronting cruelty to animals, and they’ve always had a prominent place in our organization,” said HSUS President and CEO Wayne Pacelle. “The Humane Society of the United States’ new Faith Advisory Council continues this legacy with a diverse and exceptional group of caring individuals who have committed to providing moral and spiritual guidance for the organization and its supporters.”
The members are:
- Imam Muhammad Hagmagid Ali, President, Islamic Society of North America, Washington, DC
- Dr. Charles Arand, Chair, Systematic Theology, Concordia University, St. Louis, MO
- Brother David Andrews, Sr. Representative, Food & Water Watch, Washington, DC
- Bishop John Bryson Chane, Eighth Bishop of Washington in The Episcopal Church, Washington, DC
- Dr. Matthew Halteman, Professor, Philosophy, Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI
- Father Daniel Kroger, CEO, Franciscan Media, Cincinnati, OH
- Dr. Aaron Gross, Professor, Theology & Religious Studies with a focus on contemporary Jewish traditions, UC San Diego; Founder & CEO, Farm Forward, San Diego, CA
- Dr. Seyyed Hossein Nasr, Professor, Islamic Studies, George Washington University, Washington, DC
- Rev. Dr. Laura Hobgood-Oster, Chair, Department of Religion, Southwestern University, Georgetown, TX
- Dr. Karen Swallow Prior, Chair, Department of English and Modern Languages, Liberty University, Lynchburg, VA
- Dr. Jerry Root, Professor and Associate Director, Billy Graham Institute for Strategic Evangelism; Director, Wheaton Evangelism Institute, Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL
- Rabbi David Wolpe, Rabbi, Sinai Temple, Los Angeles, CA
- Dr. Paul Waldau, Chair, Department of Anthrozoology, Canisius College, MA
- Marianne Williamson, Author, speaker and spiritual teacher, Los Angeles, CA
*Institutional affiliations are listed for identification purposes only
The Faith Advisory Council will play a leading role in reminding people to be responsible stewards and caretakers of God’s creation.
Council members will provide strategic guidance for the organization and its leadership. Each councilmember will also serve as an ambassador to The HSUS in his or her respective community, including providing spiritual support for leaders who have taken a stand on animal welfare issues in their region. The council posts on the standing committee are volunteer positions.
About The HSUS Faith Outreach program
The HSUS Faith Outreach program engages faith communities, leaders, and institutions with animal protection issues, on the premise that religious values call upon us to act in a kind and merciful way towards all creatures.