December 28, 2012
St. Francis Day in a Box!
Continue in the footsteps of St. Francis of Assisi and deepen your celebrations with our multimedia kit
UPDATE: St. Francis Day in a Box is a seasonal promotion. Look for the next edition to be available August through late fall 2013. In the meantime, check out the Fill the Bowl Project. Thank you for your support!
St. Francis of Assisi, patron saint of animals, is celebrated worldwide on October 4. Faith communities hold pet blessings and similar events throughout autumn to honor the saint’s devotion to God's creations.
The materials in St. Francis Day in a Box! include books, DVDs, and other materials to promote small group discussions, Sunday school projects, and more.
“Explore issues St. Francis would be taking on in the 21st century church with the help of our resources,” suggests Christine Gutleben, senior director of The HSUS Faith Outreach program.
“Consider St. Francis Day as the beginning of a conversation in your community, as a good time to look at our responsibilities toward animals in the care of creation.”
Your $15 toolkit is overflowing with resources:
- "Green Like God: Unlocking the Divine Plan for Our Planet" by Jonathan Merritt
- "A Pig's Tail" animated short film created by Aardman Animation, Ltd., makers of "Chicken Run" and other beloved feature films, and The HSUS. (This film is made possible by a generous grant from the Steven C. Leuthold Family Foundation.)
- "Animal Protection Ministries: A Guide for Churches" by The HSUS
- "St. Francis: A Short Biography" by Franciscan Media
- "Great Dog Stories: Inspiration and Humor from Our Canine Companions" by M.R. Wells, Kris Young and Connie Fleishauer
- "Purr-ables from Heaven: Inspirational Stories for Cat Lovers" by M.R. Wells, Connie Fleishauer and Dottie P. Adams
- "Eating Mercifully," a documentary made by The HSUS
- "Live Simply: Ethical Eating" booklet by Franciscan Media
- "C.S. Lewis as Advocate for Animals" by Gerald Root, Ph.D.
- "A Religious Case for Compassion for Animals" by Matthew Scully (part of The HSUS Faith Outreach booklet series)
- A colorful HSUS Faith Outreach program button
Reviews of last year's St. Francis Day in a Box!
“These materials are inspired by the vision of Francis of Assisi, a medieval saint who loved animals and considered every creature to be a brother or sister. Francis is everybody’s saint, as he is recognized as a man who loved all things living.”
—Daniel Kroger, O.F.M. Publisher and CEO, Franciscan Media
"A welcome addition to our annual pet blessing."
—C. Edwards, Parish Deacon, Chicago, Ill.
"[It] has something for parishioners of all ages and is a valuable ecumenical tool."
—K. Azzarello, Catholic parishoner, Greensburg, Penn.
This special celebration toolkit is only $15 and is available for a limited time. Whether you are planning a special service for St. Francis Sunday, a pet blessing ceremony, or other event, the St. Francis Day in a Box is sure to help engage and inspire your community in the care of God's creation. Order yours today
UPDATE: St. Francis Day in a Box! 2012 has expired Look for the 2013 edition of St. Francis Day in a Box! in August. In the meantime, check out the Fill the Bowl Project.
Thank you for your support!