September 3, 2013
St. Francis Day in a Box!
Continue in the footsteps of St. Francis of Assisi and deepen your celebrations with our multimedia kit
St. Francis of Assisi, patron saint of animals, is celebrated worldwide on October 4. Faith communities hold pet blessings and similar events throughout autumn to honor the saint’s devotion to God's creations.
The materials in our St. Francis Day in a Box kit include books, DVDs, and other resources that will promote small group discussions, Sunday school projects, and more.
“Explore issues St. Francis would be taking on in the 21st century church with the help of our resources,” suggests Christine Gutleben, senior director of The HSUS Faith Outreach program.
“Consider St. Francis Day as the beginning of a conversation in your community, as a good time to look at our responsibilities toward animals in the care of creation.”
Your St. Francis in a Box is overflowing with resources:
- The HSUS's Fill the Bowl Project, pet food collection promotion kit
- "A Pig's Tail" animated short film created by Aardman Animation, Ltd., makers of "Chicken Run" and other beloved feature films, and The HSUS. (This film is made possible by a generous grant from the Steven C. Leuthold Family Foundation.)
- "Eating Mercifully" documentary on DVD by The HSUS
- "St. Francis: A Short Biography" by Franciscan Media
- "Catholic Update: Why We Bless Animals," a special-edition newsletter by Franciscan Media
- Humane Backyard: Celebrate wildlife right outside your door with The HSUS. St. Francis would approve!
- "KIND News": The HSUS's magazine about animals for school-aged children up to grade 6
This special celebration toolkit is free, but it's only available for a limited time. Whether you are planning a special service for St. Francis Sunday, a pet blessing ceremony, or other event, the St. Francis Day in a Box is sure to help engage and inspire your community in the care of God's creation. Order your kit today!
“In honor of St. Francis, our elementary school hosts an annual Blessing of the Pets. This year, our blessing will be on October 4. Our students bring pictures of their pets, or stuffed animals.”
-M. Cline, Catholic Elementary of Pointe Coupee Catholic School, Louisiana
“As a member of our intergenerational group, Gathering in Grace, we are focusing on St. Francis in October. We haven't had a Blessing of the Animals for several years. As the love of animals crosses all age levels, we felt this would be a perfect gathering for us.”
-C. Burden, Grace Episcopal Church, Illinois
“We are incorporating our blessing into the Sunday morning liturgy and hope to use your materials in conjunction with our Sunday School.”
-S. Axton, Cavalry Episcopal, Texas