May 13, 2013
ACE Grant Guidelines and FAQs
Want to use film to help animals? We want to help you!
ACE awards an annual grant to a documentary film project that highlights an animal issue. The project may be in any stage of development or in need of finishing funds.
How to Enter
Keep an eye on this page—we'll have information about how to submit for the 2013 ACE grant soon.
Frequently asked questions
What does the winner of the ACE grant receive?
The winning pitch will receive a $20,000 grant. Second place will receive $2,500, and third place will receive $1,000. (Applicable taxes may apply.)
When will the winner be notified?
The winner will be notified in December 2013.
Is there a minimum running time?
Yes. Documentaries must have a planned running time of at least 40 minutes to qualify for the grant.
Fiction or nonfiction?
Currently, ACE only awards financial grants to nonfiction films. However, if you are working on a fiction film related to animal issues, you can still reach out to the ACE program for consultation.
Can international filmmakers apply?
Yes, the ACE grant is open to filmmakers from anywhere around the world.
What is the review/selection process?
These are the steps:
- Proposal review—Each proposal is read and reviewed by a team of professionals from the Hollywood Outreach program of The HSUS.
- Selection of the finalists—Finalists will be selected to have their pitches reviewed by a committee of entertainment industry professionals. Past judges include representatives from Animal Planet, HBO, National Geographic, PBS, Sundance Channel, Participant Media, and the Documentary Channel.
- Selection of the winner—The winner will be announced in a nationwide press release.
What are the review criteria?
All proposals are evaluated based on:
- The artistic strength, vision, and animal-issue content of the proposed project
- The professional capabilities of the applicant(s)
- The potential broadcast and distribution viability of the project
What films have won the grant in previous years?
See the list of past ACE Grant winners here.
When can I submit?
Details for the 2013 ACE Grant submission process will be announced soon.