November 19, 2014
Digital Marketing Intern—Companion Animals
Our Companion Animals Department, which provides communities, shelters, and pet owners the tools and information they need to eliminate animal cruelty, end the tragedy of pet overpopulation, and provide safe and happy homes for companion animals (and their people) is seeking a Digital Marketing Intern (click to view position description) for the summer of 2015.
This role is great for someone who would like to gain experience in digital communications across multiple channels including email, web, social media, and mobile. The intern will have the opportunity to assist various initiatives including a full website redesign and the implementation, tracking, and reporting of integrated marketing campaigns that will improve the awareness, outreach, sponsorship, and general presence for The HSUS’s animal sheltering and companion animal initiatives.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Using online tools to support the communications of The HSUS’s Animal Sheltering presence with a focus on the expansion of social networking efforts
- Assisting in daily collaboration among Companion Animal departmental sections and Animal Sheltering magazine to develop original, thoughtful content for social media and web platforms
- Participating in weekly Animal Sheltering Online meetings and monthly Companion Animals department meetings and other strategy sessions
- Assisting in moderation of community interactions including responding to fan comments and fostering dialogue
- Generating weekly digital metric reports, tracking the success of digital campaigns and promotions
Strong intern applicants have a passion for communications and social media and meet the following requirements:
- Strong communication, writing, interpersonal, and research skills
- Able to work well independently, show initiative and use good judgment
- Basic graphic design and HTML experience
- Knowledge of social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and blogging channels
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Interns are expected to commit to 20-25 hours per week for approximately 12 weeks; a reduced schedule would be considered. Interns may arrange to receive course credit. A commuting stipend corresponding to number of days worked (maximum $50/week) is available.
Interns must pass a criminal background check and sign a waiver and release of liability. The position is located in our Gaithersburg, Md., office.
Fill out an application now »
Note: You'll be asked to submit a cover letter and résumé with the application.