September 14, 2015
Equine Training Intern, Doris Day Equine Center
Doris Day Equine Center (DDEC), located in Murchison, Texas on the grounds of Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch is an innovative facility that rescues and rehabilitates abused and neglected horses, and ultimately helps place them with adopters who can provide them with safe, permanent, loving homes.
DDEC has an opportunity for an Equine Training Intern (click to view expanded position description). The intern will learn humane equine training techniques, improve ground and riding skills and participate in equine wellness educational programs.
Some specific internship responsibilities include:
- Warm up and cool down equine, assist with ground training, riding, and other equine development as directed by staff trainers
- Learn to manage daily feeding and movement of equines
- Learn about and assist staff with all aspects of equine husbandry and pasture and barn management
- Assist with daily equine care duties; can include feeding, watering, cleaning stalls and loading/unloading hay, feed and shavings
- Administer minor medical treatments at specific times and record appropriate documentation
- Clean pastures; can include shoveling manure, raking, weeding and scrubbing water troughs
- Complete a research project in which intern studies a topic of interest related to their learning and gives a brief 5-10 minute presentation of results at the conclusion of the internship
Please apply to join us if you meet the following requirements:
- Must be minimum 18 years old
- Able to meet the requirements outlined in the Essential Capabilities document with or without reasonable accommodation
- Must have a driver’s license and an excellent driving record
- Comfortable with equine ground skills, knowledge of general equine behavior, previous riding experience, at or above an intermediate level of horsemanship proficiency
- Negative tuberculosis (TB) test and tetanus & pre-exposure rabies vaccinations recommended but not required
Internship time commitment is approximately 36 hours per week for 4-12 weeks. Please note our location (Murchison, Texas) and consider any travel arrangements you may need to make before applying for this internship.
This internship is unpaid; however, free housing may be available and course credit can be arranged. Intern must pass a criminal background check and sign a waiver and release of liability.