November 14, 2016
Veterinary Externs, Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch
The Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch (CABBR), which is a world-renowned animal sanctuary that is home to more than 1,200 domestic and exotic animals, many of whom have been rescued from near-death situations such as slaughterhouses, biomedical research laboratories, and trophy hunting ranches, has opportunities for veterinary externs (click to view expanded position description). The role is designed to introduce externs to equine and zoological medicine in a fully-functional veterinary hospital and well as expose externs to the basics of animal husbandry and rehabilitation.
Areas of focus for the externship include lameness, geriatric medicine, ultrasonography, digital radiography, clinical pathology, dentistry, internal medicine, surgery, projected anesthesia, hospital and ambulatory work, and herd management for a variety of species. Externs will learn about many common diseases and injuries seen in animals, and animal husbandry and rehabilitation.
Some specific externship responsibilities include:
- Perform medication administration (IM, IV, PO, topical), bandage application, equine dental examination and treatment, lameness examination, diagnostics and treatment, radiography, ultrasonography, hematology sampling, anesthesia, surgical assistance and other clinical procedures based on case presentation
- Present clinical case rounds to the animal care staff
- Attend and participate in weekly Animal Care meetings
- Prepare an independent research project under guidance of staff; present the project at the conclusion of the externship
Please apply to join us if you meet the following requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years old and able to show proof of negative tuberculosis (TB) test
- Basic knowledge of all facets of veterinary medicine and able to read and understand veterinary literature
- Able to do basic math for dosage calculations
- Able to speak English well enough to communicate under pressure and understand basic medical terminology
- Able to take direction and feedback well from veterinarians, technicians and other staff members
- Adaptable to change and able to remain calm under pressure
- Able to meet the requirements outlined in the Essential Capabilities document with or without reasonable accommodation
- Tetanus & pre-exposure rabies vaccinations recommended but not required
Externships are available year-round for 2-4 weeks, 40-48 hours per week. This is an unpaid role; on-site housing is available. International externs are solely responsible for obtaining any required visas.
Externs must pass a criminal background check and sign a waiver and release of liability.
To apply, fill out an application below. Note: You'll be asked to submit a cover letter, résumé, and completed Essential Capabilities document with the application. In your cover letter, please indicate your preference for externship start and end dates and whether you are requesting on-site housing.