April 9, 2017
Animal Care: Veterinary Technician Interns, Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch
Great opportunity for those who have recently graduated from, are enrolled in or are pursuing veterinary technician or veterinary school!
The Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch, which is a world-renowned animal sanctuary that is home to almost 1,000 domestic and exotic animals, many of whom have been rescued from near-death situations such as slaughterhouses, biomedical research laboratories, and trophy hunting ranches, seeks Animal Care Veterinary Technician Interns (click to view expanded position description). Interns will primarily learn about and perform various animal husbandry and medical duties alongside the staff while gaining valuable ranch experience.
Some specific internship responsibilities include:
- Observe and monitor health and well-being of animals and maintain detailed observation records as directed
- Admit and assess sick and injured animals and arrange for veterinary assessment/treatment
- Perform laboratory and other diagnostic tests
- Make sure instruments, equipment and supplies are maintained, prepared for use and stocked
- Administer medical treatments following veterinary staff instructions
- Complete general housekeeping tasks
- Complete a research project: study a topic of interest and give a presentation at the conclusion of the internship
Please apply to join us if you meet the following requirements:
- Must be recently graduated from, enrolled in or pursuing veterinary technician or veterinary school
- Must be minimum 18 years old
- Able to meet the requirements outlined in the Essential Capabilities document with or without reasonable accommodation
- Must have current tetanus inocultion and provide proof of negative tuberculosis (TB) test
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to maintain professionalism
- Possess a strong personal work ethic
- Pre-exposure rabies and Hepatitis A & B vaccinations are recommended but not required
We are currently accepting applications for the following sessions:
- Fall 2017 (Aug. 28, 2017—Nov. 17, 2017)
- Winter 2017 (Nov. 27, 2017—Feb. 16, 2018)
Internship time commitment is approximately 42 hours per week for 12 weeks. Please note our location (Murchison, Texas) and any travel arrangements you may need to make before applying as an intern.
This internship is unpaid; however, free housing may be available and course credit can be arranged. Interns must pass a criminal background check and sign a waiver and release of liability.
To apply, fill out an application below. Note: you will be asked to submit a cover letter, résumé, completed Essential Capabilities document, and three letters of recommendation/references with the application.
Please select an internship from the list below. You'll have the chance to indicate other roles you're interested in at the end of the application process.