April 3, 2014
Animal Care Interns, Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch
The Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch, which is a world-renowned animal sanctuary that is home to more than 1,000 domestic and exotic animals, many of whom have been rescued from near-death situations such as slaughterhouses, biomedical research laboratories, and trophy hunting ranches, seeks Animal Care Interns to help care for a variety of species. Four types of internships are available (click each to view an expanded position description): Equine, Primate, Vet Tech, and Wildlife.
Interns have the opportunity to gain valuable hands-on animal care experience, knowledge about a variety of species, and exposure to the operations of an animal care center.
Some specific internship responsibilities include:
- Preparation of diets and feed/water in measured amounts using diet instructions
- Clean and maintain enclosures, which may include raking, weeding, sweeping platforms, and climbing ladders up to 8 feet
- Complete daily husbandry practices, provide behavioral enrichment and stimulation on a daily basis
- Keep track of animal feedings on forms and feeding board, fill out medication records completely, keep track of observations on feeding sheets, and note appropriate behavioral and health concerns
- Complete general housekeeping tasks
- Assist with administering minor medical treatments following veterinary staff instructions for medical treatments and give treatments at appropriate times
Please apply to join us if you meet the following requirements:
- Must be minimum 18 years old
- Able to meet the requirements outlined in the Essential Capabilities document with or without reasonable accommodation
- Able to show proof of negative tuberculosis (TB) test
- Mature individual with the ability to handle physically and emotionally stressful situations, a demanding workload, and the ability to work independently or as a team
- Possess a strong personal work ethic, a high level of integrity, and a high level of professionalism
- Tetanus & pre-exposure rabies vaccinations are recommended but not required
We are currently accepting applications for the following sessions:
- Fall 2014 (August 25, 2014–Nov. 14, 2014)
- Winter 2014 (Nov. 24, 2014–Feb. 13, 2015)
Internship time commitment is approximately 40 hours per week for 12 weeks. Please note our location (Murchison, Texas) and any travel arrangements you may need to make before applying as an intern.
This internship is unpaid; however, free housing may be available and course credit can be arranged. Interns must pass a criminal background check and sign a waiver and release of liability.
Note: You'll be asked to submit your cover letter and résumé as part of the application.