March 9, 2017
Animal Care Center Operations Interns, Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch
Learn how a 1,400 acre ranch runs. The Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch (CABBR), which is a world-renowned animal sanctuary that is home to more than 1,200 domestic and exotic animals, many of whom have been rescued from near-death situations such as slaughterhouses, biomedical research laboratories, and trophy hunting ranches, seeks Animal Care Center Operations Interns (click to view expanded position description).
Animal Care Center Operations Interns perform various land management and maintenance duties alongside the staff while gaining valuable ranch experience and knowledge about CABBR and The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).
Some specific internship responsibilities include:
- Perform landscaping and landscape design
- Assist with animal enclosure modification
- Handle vehicle upkeep and scheduled maintenance
- Assist with irrigating and plumbing
- Perform equipment upkeep and inventory
- Complete general maintenance tasks
- Complete a research project in which interns study a topic of interest related to their learning and give a brief 5-10 minute presentation of results at the conclusion of the internship (i.e. ranch management, landscaping, pasture management, etc.); topic must be approved by supervisor
Please apply to join us if you meet the following requirements:
- Must be minimum 18 years old
- Able to meet the requirements outlined in the Essential Capabilities document with or without reasonable accommodation
- Must have a driver’s license and an excellent driving record
- Must have current tetanus inoculation and provide proof of a negative tuberculosis (TB) test
- Possess a strong personal work ethic, strong interpersonal skills, and a high level of professionalism
- Pre-exposure rabies and Hepatitis A & B vaccinations recommended but not required
We are currently accepting applications for the following session:
- Summer 2017 (May 29, 2017— Aug. 18, 2017)
- Fall 2017 (Aug. 28, 2017—Nov. 17, 2017)
- Winter 2017 (Nov. 27, 2017—Feb. 16, 2018)
Internship time commitment is approximately 40 hours per week for 12 weeks. Please note our location (Murchison, Texas) and consider any travel arrangements you may need to make before applying for this internship.
This internship is unpaid; however, free housing may be available and course credit can be arranged. Interns must pass a criminal background check and sign a waiver and release of liability.
To apply, fill out an application below. Note: you will be asked to submit a cover letter, résumé, completed Essential Capabilities document, and three letters of recommendation/references with the application.