August 5, 2015
Animal Care Center Operations Interns, Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch
The Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch, which is a world-renowned animal sanctuary that is home to more than 1,000 domestic and exotic animals, many of whom have been rescued from near-death situations such as slaughterhouses, biomedical research laboratories, and trophy hunting ranches, seeks Animal Care Center Operations Interns (click to view expanded position description) to help with upkeep and maintainance of the sanctuary for a variety of species.
Animal Care Center Operations Interns have the opportunity to gain valuable hands-on experience and exposure to the operations of an animal care center.
Some specific internship responsibilities include:
- Landscaping and landscape design
- Enclosure modification
- Equipment upkeep and inventory
- Complete a research project in which interns study a topic of interest related to their learning and give a brief 5-10 minute presentation of results at the conclusion of the internship (i.e. Texas exotic pet ownership laws, equine vision, etc.); topic must be approved by supervisor
- Complete general maintenance tasks
Please apply to join us if you meet the following requirements:
- Must be minimum 18 years old
- Able to meet the requirements outlined in the Essential Capabilities document with or without reasonable accommodation
- Able to show proof of negative tuberculosis (TB) test
- Mature individual with the ability to handle physically and emotionally stressful situations, a demanding workload, and the ability to work independently or as a team
- Possess a strong personal work ethic, a high level of integrity, and a high level of professionalism
- Tetanus & pre-exposure rabies vaccinations are recommended but not required
We are currently accepting applications for the following sessions:
Internship time commitment is approximately 40 hours per week for 12 weeks. Please note our location (Murchison, Texas) and consider any travel arrangements you may need to make before applying to for this internship.
This internship is unpaid; however, free housing may be available and course credit can be arranged. Interns must pass a criminal background check and sign a waiver and release of liability.
To apply, fill out an application below. Note: you will be asked to submit a cover letter, résumé, completed Essential Capabilities document, and three letters of recommendation/references with the application.