September 15, 2015
Animal Care Interns, South Florida Wildlife Center
The South Florida Wildlife Center, a high-volume non-profit wildlife rescue and rehabilitation facility that also cares for and finds homes for many non-native species, has opportunities for animal care interns (click to view expanded position description).
This role introduces interns to the care of sick and injured adult wildlife and certain domestics. Interns gain hands-on wildlife experience, learn how to prepare an animal for release, and are exposed to the operations of a wildlife center.
Some specific internship responsibilities include:
- Cleaning enclosures/habitats, handling animals and assisting with routine care and physical therapy
- Observing and recording activity
- Developing and completing an independent project
Please apply to join us if you meet the following requirements:
- Minimum 18 years old
- Able to tolerate outdoor temperatures up to and at times above 95 degrees F with high humidity for short amounts of time
- Able to meet the requirements outlined in the Essential Capabilities document with or without reasonable accommodation
- Interns who wish to work with mammals in rehabilitative care must receive pre-exposure rabies inoculation
We are currently accepting applications for the following sessions:
- Spring 2016 session (starts February 1, 2016)
- Summer 2016 session (starts June 6, 2016)
- Fall 2016 session (starts September 6, 2016)
The internship time commitment is 32 hours/week for 12 weeks. International interns are solely responsible for obtaining any required visas. On-site housing is not available, but we may be able to help find affordable off-site boarding.
Interns must pass a criminal background check and sign a waiver and release of liability.
To apply, fill out an application below. Note: you will be asked to submit a cover letter, résumé, and completed Essential Capabilities document with the application.
Please select an internship from the list below. If you would like to apply for another opportunity after you submit your application, revisit this page and select another internship from the list. Click "Apply Now" and enter the email and password you used to create your volunteer profile, then click "Register Individual."