September 5, 2013
Graphic Design Intern—Publications
The Publications department, which produces a wide array of printed and branded materials for The HSUS and its affiliates, is seeking an intern (click to view expanded position description).
The intern gains experience being part of an in-house creative department, and learns more about design programs and policies while bringing in new ideas to the department. The intern will also have the opportunity to set project goals, track the projects’ successes, and learn how to adapt and improve for future iterations of publications—a rewarding and driving part of working in the print industry.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Researching photography
- Assisting in the design and production of a variety of print publications including brochures, annual reports, newsletters, and magazines
- Under guidance of staff, spearhead at least one independent project that will culminate in a presentation to our department
- Participating as a member of the team in brainstorming, helping to maintain brand standards, and creating logos and brand elements
- Attending and participating in weekly design meetings
Strong intern applicants meet the following requirements:
- Knowledge of Mac environment including InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Basic knowledge of animal welfare and protection issues
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organization skills
The internship time commitment is 25 hours/week for 12 weeks. Intern must pass a criminal background check and sign a waiver and release of liability. The position is located in our Gaithersburg, Md., office.
To apply, fill out an application. Note: you will be asked to submit a cover letter, resumé, and work samples with this application.