April 18, 2016
Legislative Interns, Federal Affairs
The Federal Affairs Department, which handles all federal legislation and regulatory issues for The HSUS, is seeking interns (click to view expanded position description). Interns have the opportunity to hone research and writing skills, strengthen communication and networking skills, use skills to address real-world issues involving regulatory and legislative issues.
This is a great option for law students, political science students, or anyone with a passion for making a difference in the lives of animals.
Responsibilities and projects include:
- Non-legal research and writing
- Attend hearings, briefings, and meetings on Capitol Hill as required, and prepare reports for staff
- Assist staff in mobilizing membership on key legislative initiatives
- Assist staff in legislative bill tracking
- Assist with select administrative tasks
Strong intern applicants have a passion for making a difference in the lives of animals and meet the following requirements:
- Interns must currently be enrolled in college or graduate school or have at minimum a bachelor's degree
- Must have a strong work ethic and be eager to learn
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong research and critical thinking skills
We are currently accepting applications for the following sessions:
- Fall 2016 session (deadline to apply is August 1, 2016)
- Spring 2017 session (deadline to apply is November 1, 2016)
The preferred time commitment is 40 hours per week for 12 weeks (full-time). Part-time schedules are considered, but priority consideration is given to those who can commit to a full-time schedule. Some long days and/or weekend work may be necessary.
This internship is unpaid; however, course credit can be arranged. Interns must pass a criminal background check and sign a waiver and release of liability. Work is located in our Washington, D.C., offices.
To apply, fill out an application below. Note: you will be asked to submit a cover letter and résumé with the application.
Please select an internship from the list below. You'll have the chance to indicate other roles you're interested in at the end of the application process.