February 3, 2016
Wildlife Nursery Intern, South Florida Wildlife Center
The South Florida Wildlife Center, a high-volume, non-profit wildlife rescue and rehabilitation facility that also cares for and finds homes for many non-native species, has opportunities for a wildlife nursery intern (click to view expanded position description) [PDF].
This role introduces interns to the care of sick, injured, and orphaned baby wildlife and certain non-natives.
Some specific internship responsibilities include:
- Clean and set up enclosures/habitats
- Prepare diets and formulas
- Hand feed animals using appropriate techniques
- Document all care and observations
- Handle patients for weighing and transfers
- Assist with routine care and physical exams
- Provide enrichment
- Convey potential problems to staff
- Assist with general housekeeping/laundry
Please apply to join us if you meet the following requirements:
- Minimum 18 years old
- Able to tolerate outdoor temperatures up to and at times above 95 degrees F with high humidity for short amounts of time
- Able to meet the requirements outlined in the Essential Capabilities document with or without reasonable accommodation
- Interns who wish to work with rabies vector species in rehabilitative care must receive pre-exposure rabies inoculation
We are currently accepting applications for the following sessions:
- Spring 2016 (Mar. 12—June 11)
- Summer 2016 (May 28—Aug. 27)
- Fall 2016 (Aug. 13—Nov. 19)
The internship time commitment is 30 hours/week for 12 weeks. International interns are solely responsible for obtaining any required visas. The internship is unpaid and on-site housing is not available, but we may be able to help find affordable off-site boarding.
Interns must pass a criminal background check and sign a waiver and release of liability.
To apply, fill out an application below. Note: you will be asked to submit a cover letter, résumé, and completed Essential Capabilities document with the application.
Please select an internship from the list below. You'll have the chance to indicate other roles you're interested in at the end of the application process.