February 27, 2015
Donor Relations Intern—Membership and Donor Care
The Membership and Donor Care department is responsible for fielding all donor inquiries and assisting various departments and fellow affiliates in addressing and engaging with their individual supporters and donors.
The department has an opportunity for interns (click to view position description) interested in learning about the field of resource development, with a concentration on individual giving and donor relations. Interns will learn about the daily responsibilities of a membership department, gain exposure to volunteer management and foster an understanding of animal protection issues. Interns will work alongside the Donor Care team to support the mission of promoting excellent donor services to our generous supporters while providing direct support to our staff.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing constituents’ records in various databases
- Assisting with updating payment information for monthly donor pledges and processing cancellation requests, as necessary
- Contacting our donors
- Assisting in drafting and updating current templates for improved donor retention efforts
- Regularly meeting with supervisor for training and to discuss weekly learning goals and progress
- Shadowing the manager’s volunteer management responsibilities
Strong intern applicants meet the following requirements:
- Interested in learning about the field of resource development, with a concentration on individual giving and donor relations
- Must speak English fluently
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with a pleasant and clear speaking voice
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Dedication to the organization’s mission strongly preferred
The role requires a commitment of 10-20 hours per week for approximately 12 weeks. This internship is unpaid; however, course credit can be arranged. Interns must pass a criminal and credit background check and sign a waiver and release of liability.
The position is located in our Gaithersburg, Md., office.
Fill out an application now »
Note: You'll be asked to submit a cover letter and résumé with the application.