November 15, 2013
Wildlife Policy Interns—Wildlife Protection
Please note: We are no longer accepting applications for the fall 2013 season. The deadline to apply for a spring 2014 internship is December 1, 2013.
Our Wildlife Protection Department combats cruelty to wild animals, both captive and free-living, through education, outreach, and advocacy. We have an opportunity for interns (click to view position description) to learn about wildlife-related issues and advocacy, with a focus on fox pens, captive hunting, and poaching issues, while assisting Wildlife Protection Campaign staff with research and analysis projects related to our nation’s wildlife, the legislative process, and wildlife, conservation, and animal protection issues.
Interns will complete a non-credit online Humane Society University Campaigns course directly related to the internship.
Responsibilities and projects include:
- Conduct online research to support our campaigns
- Read wildlife-related educational materials/articles and compile research
- Assist with outreach related to wildlife protection issues
Strong intern applicants have a passion for making a difference in the lives of animals and meet the following requirements:
- Superior written and oral communication skills, as well as strong critical thinking skills
- Must possess excellent research and reading skills
- Demonstrate flexibility and an eagerness to learn and to take initiative on a variety of projects
- Some knowledge of wildlife/conservation and animal protection issues preferred
Interns are expected to commit to 25-30 hours per week for approximately 12 weeks; a reduced schedule would be considered. Interns may arrange to receive course credit. A commuting stipend corresponding to number of days worked (maximum $50/week) is available.
Interns must pass a criminal background check and sign a waiver and release of liability. The position is located in our Gaithersburg, Md., office.
To apply, fill out an application. Note: you will be asked to submit a cover letter and resumé with this application.