December 19, 2016
Director of Philanthropy, Humane Society Legislative Fund (HSLF)
The Humane Society Legislative Fund, (HSLF) formed in 2004 as a separate lobbying affiliate of The Humane Society of the United States, is seeking a Director of Philanthropy. The main responsibility of this position is to promote the animal protection goals by identifying, cultivating, and soliciting donors and seek prospective donors.
This position will be responsible for:
- Planning and implementing major donor cultivation and solicitation strategies to secure funding for institutional priorities and to reach annual budgeted goals;
- Collaborating with direct mail and online firm, online communications director and others to integrate fundraising activities for the HSLF;
- Managing Humane PAC 100 Club and general fundraising for the HSLF PAC;
- Managing fundraising through state political councils tied to HSLF;
- Engaging HSLF staff in major fundraising activities; using partners in the cultivation and solicitation of major gifts;
- Conducting personal donor visits to develop and maintain positive and purposeful relationships with major donors and prospects and maintaining contact information on the donor or prospect;
- Collaborating with HSLF executives, board chair, and board members to build and maintain an successful major gift fundraising culture;
- Maintaining advanced knowledge and understanding of development techniques and fundraising best practices to effectively interact with donors and advisors on charitable gifts;
- Supporting the mission and philosophy of HSLF and maintaining a strong working knowledge of priority legislation and political work and of relevant state initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- Minimum of 7 year’s of fundraising experience with proven success in securing major gifts is required;
- Must have knowledge of relationship building with highly rated prospects and donors;
- Outstanding communication skills both orally and in writing along with strong persuasive and influencing skills to drive results;
- Must be able to travel extensively including weekends and evenings.
Please submit a cover letter and resumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Washington, DC.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status.
Back to Employment Opportunities»