December 16, 2016
Animal Care Specialist - Vet Assistant
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation's largest animal advocacy organization, is seeking an Animal Care Specialist - Vet Assistant for our South Florida Wildlife Center (SFWC) in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The main responsibility of this position is to assist the veterinary staff in health/medical/surgical care and treatment of animals.
This position will be responsible for:
- Assisting in triage of incoming animals and performing euthanasia under the direction of staff veterinarians;
- Performing daily database entry in an accurate and timely manner;
- Writing and updating Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Preparing medications and medicating animals under the direction of staff veterinarians, or giving direction to Animal Care, Nursery, and Release Staff;
- Assisting and preparing for surgical procedures and taking radiographic images;
- Maintaining a clean, sanitary and tidy environment and maintaining veterinary equipment;
- Ordering medical supplies and assuring their availability in the treatment room;
- Opening and closing the clinic, checking night cages, and securing the building;
- Monitoring animals undergoing treatment and identifying changes in status.
- High School diploma required;
- Certification in Veterinary Technology and Euthanasia is preferred;
- Minimum of six months to one years’ experience dealing with exotics or wildlife medicine;
- OSHA/safety compliance training;
- Ability to meet deadlines; organized; collaborative; and obtain good observational skills;
- Must have accurate data entry skills, legible handwriting, punctuality and good attendance;
- Supports the Wildlife Care Center mission;
- Ability to work flexible schedule when needed, including weekends;
- Knowledge of species and rehabilitation progress for successful release;
- Ability to identify species;
- Ability to lift, bend and stand throughout workday.
Please submit a cover letter and resumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status.
Back to Employment Opportunities»