October 11, 2016
Animal Caregiver II - Equine - Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation's largest animal advocacy organization, is seeking an Animal Caregiver II for our Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch (CABBR). The main responsibility of this position is to provide care for horses and upkeep of animal habitats and areas.
This position will be responsible for:
- Maintaining the health and welfare of all animals including horses and maintaining the integrity of enclosures and report abnormalities to supervisor;
- Maintaining high standards of cleanliness in all enclosures and in all other areas;
- Preparing food/diets and feeding all animals according to dietary guidelines, schedules, researching proper nutrition requirements for animals as assigned;
- Observing animals for signs of illness or injury; administering medications or treatments to ill/injured animals under direction from the Veterinarian, capturing, moving and transporting animals to the Veterinarian and assisting with examinations/surgeries performed on property;
- Maintaining awareness of the needs of animals in different temperatures and address seasonal changes;
- Providing psychological and physical enrichment to animals at the sanctuary.
- Ordering food products, medications, medical equipment and supplies and organizing storage and stocking supplies;
- Cleaning kitchen, common areas, storage areas, pens, cages and other areas;
- Repairing and renovating existing animals pens and other sanctuary facilities and assisting in the construction of new pens/facilities as well as performing landscaping/ground keeping duties;
- Mentor interns and volunteers to be able to provide excellent quality care and other duties as assigned;
- High School diploma or equivalent, Bachelor’s degree in biology, zoology, wildlife science, or related field highly preferred;
- Minimum three years of experience working in and equine, ranch, or sanctuary environment required;
- Experience working with feral horses a plus as well as handling ability or experience with other animals;
- Must be able to move/lift 50lbs;
- Must be able to work occasional long hours (up to 12 hours a day) and able to work outdoors;
- Good observational and organizational skills;
- Ability to follow directions and record observations;
- Reliable attendance is essential to providing optimum animal care;
- Ability to communicate with others;
- Support our mission;
- Ability to work long workdays as needed (up to 12 hours).
Please submit a cover letter and resumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Murchison, Texas.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status.
Back to Employment Opportunities»