December 20, 2016
Public Relations Specialist (381-40)
The Humane Society of The United States (HSUS), the nation’s largest animal advocacy organization is seeking a Public Relations Specialist for the Public Relations (PR) department. The main responsibility of this position is to arrange media interviews with subject experts, offer letters to the editor and op-ed pieces on a broad range of animal issues. The PR department utilizes all forms of media (print, online and broadcast) to promote and educate the public about the programs and policy work of the HSUS and its affiliates.
This position will be responsible for:
- Increasing coverage of HSUS and our issues;
- Drafting and editing press releases, advisories, letters to the editor, pitching letters and other collateral material that is sent to the news media;
- Pitching issues and events to reporters with strong knowledge of animal issues and how they can be placed in the media for maximum impact;
- Responding to inquiries from news media, suppling reporters with background material, and scheduling interviews with a HSUS spokespeople;
- Developing targeted media lists with reporters and media outlets to help position animal protection issues;
- Distributing press releases utilizing best available resources to media outlets;
- Developing relationships with reporters, including speaking with them on the phone, having in-person meetings and using online social media tools to develop a rapport.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations or journalism or equivalent work experience;
- Minimum one year of experience in a public relations environment required;
- The ability to build/foster relationships by reinforcing trust and respect, and demonstrating high standards of tact, diplomacy and discretion;
- Excellent communication (written and oral) skills with the ability to translate information into a meaningful, understandable context and message, regardless of the format (e.g., documents, public speaking situations, presentations, etc.);
- Excellent organizational, planning, and time management skills with demonstrated flexibility and the ability to manage multiple and often changing priorities and issues of varying complexity, while meeting time sensitive deadlines and deliverables.
Please submit a cover letter and resumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Gaithersburg, MD.
The Humane Society of the United States is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status.
Back to Employment Opportunities»