October 10, 2016
Senior Director, Individual Philanthropy - Principal, Major and Midlevel Gifts
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation's largest animal advocacy organization, is seeking a Senior Director, Individual Philanthropy - Principal, Major and Midlevel Gifts for the Philanthropy department. The primary purpose of this position is to develop and implement a strategic plan to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors from midlevel, major, and principal giving levels.
This position will be responsible for:
- Personally managing relationships with a portfolio of major donors and major gift prospects and serving as a front-line cultivator;
- Managing a team in support of reaching the Board-approved financial goals set each year; this position supports and enables the work of the HSUS and provides direction and support to directors of philanthropy (major gift officers) and the support team to ensure maximum focus on fundraising of principal and major gift prospects and donors;
- Developing and implementing a giving strategy (both short-term and long-term) in order to attract and retain prospective and current donors and expand the donor base and pipeline; will serve as the key strategist for fundraising for specific “asks”.
- Mentoring, motivating, and inspiring the team to include monitoring goals and metrics including donor portfolios, pyramids and pipelines, donor visits and solicitations, and assessing territories;
- Leading the mid-level program to include working with the direct mail team to plan and implementing a robust program and building a pipeline and meeting financial goals for the midlevel program;
- Ensuring consistent and best practices of moves management and tracking donor activity for campaign initiatives and preparing weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual progress reports for executive leaders; will work with the HSUS legal team and other staff to develop and finalize gift/pledge agreements and recording and reporting campaign gift and pledge totals; will also leverage technology to analyze progress against plans and ensure security/compliance with donor records;
- Assigning , monitoring, and guiding strategy of individual prospects for senior staff and members of the Board as needed; will be managing and organizing the department’s day-to-day operations and budgets and streamline processes and procedures;
- Supporting the mission and philosophy of HSUS and maintain a working knowledge of priority campaigns and other initiatives.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience required;
- Minimum ten years’ of progressively responsible experience in fundraising or fundraising management and prior supervisory experience required;
- Specialized training in development research methods, database management and fundraising best practices is highly desired;
- Strong persuasive and influential skills along with ability to build and foster relationships is required; must be able to lead teams;
- Must have demonstrated organizational, planning, and time management skills along with ability to be flexible to manage multiple and changing priorities while still meeting deadlines and deliverables;
- Proficiency with fundraising databases is a highly desired.
Please submit a cover letter and resumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Gaithersburg, MD.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identify, disability or protected veteran status.
Back to Employment Opportunities»