January 17, 2017
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation's largest animal advocacy organization, is seeking a Volunteer Manager for the Animal Rescue Team. The main responsibility of this position is to plan, organize and manage the volunteer program for the Animal Rescue Team.
This position will be responsible for:
- Acting as liaison with state affairs and other partners to recruit, train, and deploy volunteers as needed;
- Organizing, coordinating and managing the recruitment and deployment of volunteers for the Animal Rescue Team;
- Supervising volunteers on deployments;
- Developing and conducting orientations and training programs designed to recruit potential volunteers and/or enhance the knowledge and skill set of our existing volunteer core;
- Maintaining accurate and complete database of volunteer records;
- Maintaining a manual of standard operating procedures for the planning, procurement and management of volunteer resources;
- Developing and maintaining operational contacts with individuals and organizations throughout the country with an emphasis on volunteer management and operations;
- Integrating established educational outreach on the preparation/response to the needs of animal victims in time of disasters;
- Writing internal reports and responding to routine requests and correspondence regarding animal issues;
- Acting as primary response person on a rotating schedule with other response staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent work experience required;
- Minimum three years’ experience with volunteer management, specifically in animal care facilities;
- Certified Volunteer Administrator preferred or willingness to obtain certification during employment;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- A high level of confidence, integrity, interpersonal skills, and a professional presence for effectively interacting with and influencing others, facilitating meetings, and conducting public speaking/presentations;
- Proven organizational, project, and priority management skills;
- The ability to build/foster relationships by reinforcing trust and respect, and demonstrating high standards of tact, diplomacy and discretion;
- Familiarity with current animal sheltering best practices and protocols;
- Computer proficiency including word processing and Internet;
- Knowledge or experience with Civicore, Egencia preferred;
- Ability and willingness to take courses and/or obtain certifications where indicated to improve skills;
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member;
- Must be able to travel extensively and be on the road a number of days a month and to work outside standard business hours.
Please submit a cover letter and resumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Gaithersburg, MD.
The Humane Society of the United States is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status.
Back to Employment Opportunities»