Friends of Finn in Action
Committee members raise funds on behalf of The HSUS Stop Puppy Mills campaign for rescue efforts as well as education and public awareness initiatives. As strong supporters of our Puppy Friendly Pet Store initiative, which encourages pet stores to promote adoption instead of selling puppies, Friends of Finn has a simple message: Adopt, don't shop! Stopping the sale of puppy mill dogs in pet shops will not only close off markets for inhumane puppy mills, it will also encourage the public to acquire dogs from shelters, rescues and responsible breeders who treat their animals with the care and love they deserve.
Friends of Finn Assisting The HSUSIn 2010, Amanda Hearst visited an emergency shelter for dogs removed from a puppy mill in Mississippi. The trip marked the beginning of her involvement with the issue of puppy mills, leading to the formation of Friends of Finn. Since then, committee members have assisted in numerous ways: in 2011, Lorenzo Borghese went undercover with an HSUS investigator and caught sales staff at 11 New York City-area pet stores making misleading claims concerning the origin of their puppies. In 2012, Hearst and Georgina Bloomberg helped care for dogs removed from a puppy mill in Jones County, N.C. In 2013, Hearst, Kimberly Ovitz, Breanna Schultz and Lauren Grafer Schweibold accompanied The HSUS as more than 60 dogs were rescued from a breeder in Sampson County, N.C. (Watch a video of that rescue below). In 2015, Hearst, Bloomberg, Steve Read and Courtney Stroum Meagher participated in the Humane Puerto Rico program, providing spay/neuter and triage of over 700 animals, and also equated to rescuing 160 dogs.
Members actively seek ways to plug into The HSUS’s work and advance the mission of the organization. Over the past few years, Friends of Finn has done countless projects to support the campaign to stop puppy mills, including:
Following the 2016 To the Rescue! New York Gala, Friends of Finn celebrated with an after party! Proceeds from the evening went toward the life-saving work of the Animal Rescue Team.
When: Nov. 18, 2016, 9:30 p.m.
Where: The Bowery Hotel, New York, N.Y.
Friends of Finn in the News
- People - Toast the Dog’s Parents Are Splitting — But the Pup and Her Siblings Won’t Be Separated
- People - How Georgina Bloomberg Is Saving Puppies All Over The World
- Gotham - Georgina Bloomberg on Being Honored by The Humane Society of the United States & Animal Adoption
- NBC New York - From Rescue to Celebrity: Meet Toast
- FOX5 New York - Problems with Puppy Mills
- Observer - These 20 Heroes Under 40 Give Millennials a Good Name
- The New York Post - A puppy play date with Instagram stars Toast and Finn
- The Wall Street Journal - Dog Day Afternoons in the Hamptons
- The Palm Beach Daily News - Campaign to eradicate puppy mills focus of dinner
- Hamptons.com - Friends of Finn By The Shore Hamptons Benefit Makes Waves At Finale East
- The Huffington Post - Famous People Reveal How Having a Dog Makes Their Life Better
- The San Francisco Chronicle/sfgate.com - Amanda Hearst’s FOF fete is all about puppy love, not puppy mills
- The New York Times - No Misbehaving for This Heiress
- Marie Claire - Feel-Good Fashion: Friends of Finn
- The Tory Blog - Day in the life: Amanda Hearst and Georgina Bloomberg