April 1, 2015
Resources for Californians
All the animal-related information you need at your fingertips
Do you want to help animals in California? These online resources will make that easier.
Volunteering with The HSUS in California
- Volunteer at the Fund for Animals Wildlife Center in Ramona.
- Volunteer with Pets for Life Los Angeles.
- Find other volunteer opportunities in California.
Reporting stray or injured animals and animal cruelty
- Call your your local animal care and control agency if you have found a stray or injured animal.
- Contact your local law enforcement agency to report a case of animal cruelty.
- Lost or found an animal? Interested in adopting an animal?
Contact your local animal shelter or search your local humane society/spca.
- Emergency financial assistance with veterinary bills
- File a complaint about a veterinary practice or find answers to other frequently asked questions relating to veterinarian-client issues.
- California Animal Control Directors Association
- California State Humane Association
- California animal welfare groups listed by Petfinder
- Spay/neuter resources in California
- Look up an affordable spay/neuter clinic by zip code.
- Buy the California Pet Lover's license plate to help fund low-cost spay/neuter programs in California.
- Contribute to California's Municipal Spay/Neuter Fund when you pay your income taxes.
- Find a wildlife rehabilitator in California.
- The Department of Fish and Game's CalTip hotline: 888-DFG-CALTIP (888-334-2258) takes information about poaching or polluting incidents or any fish and wildlife violation.
- California Department of Fish and Game hunting regulations
- California Council for Wildlife Rehabilitation
Learning about California laws and legislators
- Look up your senator or assembly member
- Bills pending in California
- California animal laws
- California's official state animals
Researching animals and public health and safety
- Animal Disaster Preparedness: Tips from the California Department of Food & Agriculture
- Information about the CDFA's Animal Health & Food Safety Services
- The CDFA's Veterinary Public Health Section
- Rabies fact sheet from the California Department of Public Health Resources