November 19, 2012
Resources for Maine Residents
Contact information at your fingertips
Report stray or injured animals/animal cruelty
- Call your your local animal care and control agency if you have found a stray or injured animal.
- Contact your local law enforcement agency or call 911 to report a case of animal cruelty.
- Report cruelty to livestock or horses to the Maine Dept. of Agriculture: 877-269-9200 or 207-287-3846
- Find your local animal control officer
- Contact your local animal shelter if you've lost or found an animal, or are interested in adopting an animal.
- Maine animal welfare/pet adoption groups listed by Petfinder
- Maine Federation of Humane Societies—A statewide network of companion animal welfare organizations working to support animal shelters and adoption
- Pet preparedness tips from the Maine Emergency Management Agency
- Foster homes for pets in domestic violence situations
- Maine Animal Control Association
- Look up an affordable spay/neuter clinic in your zip code.
- Help Fix ME (state-wide low-cost spay/neuter program): 800-367-1317 or 207-287-7621 (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Spay Maine
- Love That Cat's listing of low-cost spay/neuter clinics in Maine
Maine veterinary resources
- Maine Veterinary Medical Association
- Animal poison hotline: 800-213-6680 (available 24/7)
- Find an emergency vet near you.
Maine legislature and statutes
Wildlife rehabilitation and wildlife agencies
- Look up a local wildlife rehabber in Maine
- Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Warden Service
- Wildlife complaints/concerns