June 11, 2010
Water Bottles for Guinea Pigs
Water bottle advantages
When you're setting up your guinea pig's watering hole, keep in mind that a water bottle is better than a dish.
Water bottles offer several advantages:
- They can't be easily spilled or clogged with bedding material, food, or other particles.
- Guinea pigs prefer clean, dry bedding, and even though they may mastermind the mess created by overturned water bowls, they won't appreciate the result.
- You probably won't either, since sodden bedding means additional cage cleaning.
What to look for
Water bottles are available in different sizes and styles.
- Size: 32-oz. water bottle
- Material: Glass is preferable, but plastic works well, too, and is more commonly sold in pet supply stores.
- Features: Angled stainless steel sipper tube with a ball bearing in the spout.
- Cage placement: The water bottle should hang off the side of the cage at a height that's easily accessible for your guinea pig.
- Care and maintenance: Change your guinea pig's water every day, and wash the water bottle thoroughly during the weekly cage cleaning. A bottle brush can help remove any stubborn particles. When re-hanging the water bottle, check to make sure the sipper tube isn't clogged by gently tapping the ball bearing.