August 12, 2015
Pet Food Safety
Commonsense tips, the latest recalls and new FDA rules to protect your pets
While it's nearly impossible to ensure that your pet will never come in contact with tainted pet food or treats, you can reduce your pet's risk. Protect your pet by taking these four important steps:
• Check our list of recalled foods and treats regularly for information about items that have been recalled. You may also want to join our online community to receive information about recalls via the Pet of the Week enewsletter.
• If your pet's food or treats are recalled, immediately stop feeding the product to your pet. You can return recalled products to the store where you purchased them for a full refund or dispose of them in a secure area not accessible to animals. If you have questions about recalled food or treats, contact the manufacturer.
• If your pet may have consumed a recalled product, consult your veterinarian, even if your pet isn't showing any symptoms.
If your pet has become ill or died because of a tainted food or treats, please report it to the FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator in your state.
3. Watch this video from the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine
The FDA is proposing stronger rules on tainted pet food. Act now to make those rules effective:
- Read The HSUS's response to the proposed rules »
- Read Wayne's Blog on why the proposed rules are necessary »
- Watch the FDA's presentation on the rules »
December 3, 2014: Lakeland Animal Nutrition Issues Voluntary Horse Feed Recall
November 6, 2013: Bailey's Choice Expands Product Recall of Dog Treats in Georgia
October 28, 2013: How to Report a Complaint about Jerky Pet Treats
October 22, 2013: FDA Releases Progress Report on Jerky Pet Treat Investigation
NOTE: Earlier recalls not provided; food older than two years has likely expired and should not be consumed. (Most pet food has an expiration date; look for it on the package or can. As a general rule, unopened dry food usually stays good for a year; unopened canned food for two years.)