September 29, 2016
Special Projects Volunteer—District Leader Program
Help animals by supporting our nationwide volunteer program
The Special Projects Volunteer position assists staff by supporting our growing District Leader Volunteer Program. Work can be done from home and varies based on current needs and the volunteer's skills and interests. Projects will likely include:
- Reviewing and approving district leader volunteer hours
- Supporting volunteer appreciation efforts through one-on-one phone calls and emails with district leaders
- Tracking responses to HSUS action alerts and accomplishments in the role
- Providing general support to district leader volunteers
- Routinely checking the district leader inbox and handling material requests
- Regularly updating spreadsheets and assisting staff in streamlining processes
To learn more, read the expanded position description [PDF] »
Benefits of volunteering
Volunteers will strengthen their communication, critical thinking and time management skills while learning best practices in volunteer management. They will also foster a deeper understanding of animal protection issues and develop or strengthen their knowledge of The HSUS and its mission.
Becoming a volunteer
Requirements for our volunteers:
- Able to effectively communicate verbally and in written form
- Strong interpersonal, strategic thinking and organizational skills
- Research and database skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel; strong familiarity with the Internet
- Excellent phone manners; able to speak clearly and be an active listener
- Have a strong attention to detail and a commitment to accuracy
- Able to demonstrate flexibility and work well independently
- Volunteers have an initial commitment of three-six months; ongoing participation is preferred.
- Volunteers must successfully complete a criminal background check.
- Remote volunteers must have access to a computer with Microsoft Word and Excel and access to the Internet.
- We do NOT accept any court ordered community service.
- Please review the description and restrictions above to help determine if our volunteer opportunity is the right fit. If you would like to proceed, please fill out the volunteer application.
- After review of your application, a staff member will contact you to discuss the opportunity. If we mutually determine that the opportunity appears to be a good fit, you will be asked to fill out an authorization form allowing us to carry out a background check.
- Before becoming an official volunteer, you must pass the background check, sign a volunteer agreement, and sign a waiver/release of liability.