July 28, 2016
Volunteer with our Volunteer Outreach Department
Provide support for volunteer and internship programs
The Volunteer Outreach department is responsible for implementing best practices in volunteer management, effectively engaging volunteers in The HSUS’ and affiliates’ work, and providing training and resources to volunteer managers throughout the animal protection community.
We are looking for volunteers (click to view expanded position description) to assist with a variety of tasks to help strengthen the organization’s volunteer and internship program. Among other duties, volunteers provide general department support including responding to inquiries from the public, help in the development of program materials and paperwork, support the organization’s internship program, support our recruitment efforts, and help plan for and participate in The HSUS’s conferences and events.
We’re looking for people to work in our Gaithersburg, Md., office during the work week (Monday–Friday) between 9:30 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Benefits of volunteering
Volunteers will learn best practices in volunteer management and strengthen critical thinking and organizational skills while helping to support the mission of The HSUS.
Becoming a volunteer
Requirements for our Volunteers:
- Strong critical thinking, interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, and Excel) and strong familiarity with the Internet
- Able to work well independently and use good judgment
- Desire to learn about volunteer management or prior volunteer management experience a plus
- Previous experience in a non-profit organization, animal protection/advocacy organization, or animal shelter a plus
- Volunteers must commit to a minimum of three hours per week for three months.
- All volunteers must successfully complete a criminal background check.
- We do NOT accept any court ordered community service.
- Please review the description and restrictions above to help determine if our volunteer opportunity is the right fit. If you would like to proceed, please fill out the volunteer application.
- After review of your application, a staff member will contact you to discuss the opportunity. If we mutually determine that the opportunity appears to be a good fit, you will be asked to fill out an authorization form allowing us to carry out a background check.
- Before becoming an official volunteer, you must pass the background check, sign a volunteer agreement, and sign a waiver/release of liability.