February 27, 2015
Volunteer with Humane Society International’s Farm Animals Department
The Humane Society International—Farm Animals (HSI—FA) department works to move animal agriculture industries away from systems and practices that cause enormous suffering to the billions of animals raised and killed for meat, eggs, and milk, while influencing policy-making bodies, scientific and governmental leaders, and corporations through research, engagement, and partnerships with other stakeholders.
HSI—FA seeks volunteers with an earnest attention to detail to work on projects including fact-checking and research and writing. Volunteers typically work remotely and are assigned work based on availability, skills and interest.
Click on role title to view expanded position description.
Fact-checking Volunteer: Help maintain the department’s high standard of academic rigor by fact-checking research papers and factsheets. Must be able to retrieve articles from a university library/database.
Research Volunteer: Research and write white papers on international factory farming practices and its impacts. Must be able to retrieve articles from a university library/database.
What our volunteers say
The HSI-Farm Animals volunteering program is a fantastic opportunity for compassionate, skilled individuals who want to be a part of the HSUS team, but can't physically volunteer at the office. While working remotely, the HSI-FA volunteers utilize research and writing skills to advocate for animals all over the world. —Katie Schloer
Benefits of volunteering
As a volunteer in this role, you will learn more about the issues, acquire useful skills, and rest well knowing you’re helping us help farm animals around the world.
Becoming a volunteer
- Fact-checking volunteers commit to a minimum of ten hours per week for three months.
- Research volunteers commit to a minimum of ten hours per week while working on a paper. Volunteers have an initial commitment of one year and are requested to work on at least one white paper per year. White papers are needed on an irregular basis. Projects can span a few months or longer.
- All volunteers must successfully complete a criminal background check.
- Remote volunteers need access to a computer with Microsoft Word and access to the Internet.
- We do NOT accept any court ordered community service.
- Please review the descriptions and restrictions above to help determine if our volunteer opportunities are the right fit. If you would like to proceed, please fill out the online volunteer application linked below. Note: the application requests your résumé and a cover letter outlining your interest in our department’s work.
- After review of your application, a representative from the program will contact you to discuss the next steps. If we mutually determine that the opportunity appears to be a good fit, you will be asked to fill out an authorization form allowing us to carry out a background check.
- Before becoming an official volunteer, you must pass the background check, sign a volunteer agreement, and sign a waiver/release of liability.