June 10, 2014
Volunteer with Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association's Advocacy Department
Volunteer your office skills for us
The Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association (HSVMA) was formed as a home for veterinary professionals who want to engage in direct care programs for animals in need and educate the public and others in the profession about animal welfare issues. HSVMA is looking for volunteers (click to view expanded position description) to assist with legislation, continuing education, member engagement, and student outreach. Volunteer work can be done from home or in our Davis, Calif., office during the workweek (Monday-Friday, 9 am-5 pm).
Benefits of volunteering
Volunteers will gain an awareness of animal welfare issues from the veterinary perspective and will have exposure to/experience in legislative advocacy, webinar production, and policy development and work while helping to support the missions of The HSUS and HSVMA.
Becoming a volunteer
Requirements for our Volunteers:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity or prior experience with veterinary medicine, policy and legislation, or community outreach is a plus
- Volunteers commit to a minimum of five hours per week for three months.
- Must have reliable access to a computer with Microsoft Office and access to the Internet if working remotely (remote volunteers will not be expected to make calls for the organization).
- All volunteers must successfully complete a criminal background check.
- We do NOT accept any court ordered community service.
- Please review the description and restrictions above to help determine if our volunteer opportunity is the right fit. If you would like to proceed, please fill out the volunteer application.
- After review of your application, a staff member will contact you to discuss the opportunity. If we mutually determine that the opportunity appears to be a good fit, you will be asked to fill out an authorization form allowing us to carry out a background check.
- Before becoming an official volunteer, you must pass the background check, sign a volunteer agreement, and sign a waiver/release of liability.