December 26, 2013
Volunteer with our Membership Department
Help strengthen our relationships with our donors
The Membership department of The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is tasked with providing a high level of customer service to all donors. This includes, but is not limited to, responding to questions, concerns and comments from inbound telephone calls, emails and mail. The department prides itself on caring for donors by being highly responsive at all times and putting the donor first.
Our Membership department is looking for volunteers (click to view expanded position description) to help strengthen the organization’s relationships with our donors. Volunteers call donors to thank them, answer or redirect any questions that come up in conversation, and then enter information about the call into a spreadsheet. Volunteers also handwrite and email thank you notes to donors.
We’re looking for people to work in our Gaithersburg, Md., office during the workweek (Monday-Friday) between 9 am and 5:30 pm or Wednesdays 6 pm-8 pm.
Benefits of volunteering
Volunteers have exposure to the operations of a non-profit’s membership department, and are able to strengthen their interpersonal and customer service skills while helping to support the mission of The HSUS.
Becoming a volunteer
Requirements for our Volunteers:
- Must speak English fluently
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with a pleasant and clear speaking voice
- Customer service experience (in person or on telephone) or call center experience preferred
- Volunteers commit to 2-20 hours per week for two months.
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old.
- All volunteers must successfully complete a criminal background check.
- We do NOT accept any court ordered community service.
- Please review the description and restrictions above to help determine if our volunteer opportunity is the right fit. If you would like to proceed, please fill out the volunteer application.
- After review of your application, a staff member will contact you to discuss the opportunity. If we mutually determine that the opportunity appears to be a good fit, you will be asked to fill out an authorization form allowing us to carry out a background check.
- Before becoming an official volunteer, you must pass the background check, sign a volunteer agreement, and sign a waiver/release of liability.