Meatless Monday Recipe Contest
Thousands of schools across the country are serving up a hearty helping of delicious plant-based meals. Email your best meat-free recipe, pursuant to the contest rules below, for a chance to win $500—and the glee of children all across the nation!
To enter: Submit your vegan entree recipe and your contact information via email to MeatlessMonday@humanesociety.org by July 31, 2014. The recipe should contain no more than 12 ingredients (not counting salt, pepper, water, and oil/cooking spray) and must conform to the nutrition-content requirements set forth in Section 4 of the Rules.
Meatless Monday Recipe Contest Official Contest Rules
1. Disclosure; Contest Period
NO DONATION, PURCHASE, OR OBLIGATION OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO WIN. A DONATION OR PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. YOU HAVE NOT YET WON. The Meatless Monday Recipe Contest (the "Contest") begins at 12:00 a.m. Eastern Time ("ET") on April 10, 2014 and ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on July 31, 2014 ("Contest Period"). Entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. ET on July 31, 2014 to be eligible.
You must be eighteen (18) years of age or older to enter. The Contest is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who, at the time of entry, are employed in a food/nutrition service program at a U.S. public, private, or charter school for students in grades K-12. Employees and independent contractors of The Humane Society of the United States ("The HSUS") or its affiliates, and any other individual or entity involved in the development, promotion, or execution of the Contest, and the immediate family members and/or household members of each are not eligible. By participating in the Contest, you fully and unconditionally agree to be bound by these official contest rules (the "Official Rules") and by The HSUS's decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
3. To Enter
To enter your original recipe ("Recipe") for a plant-based school lunch menu item in the Contest, send your Recipe, along with your full name, street address (including city, state, and zip code), daytime phone number (including area code), email address, and school/school district affiliation (collectively, your "Entrant Information"), by email to MeatlessMonday@humanesociety.org during the Contest Period.
Your Recipe and your Entrant Information, collectively comprise your entry to the Contest (each an "Entry" and collectively "Entries"). Your Entry must comply with the Entry Requirements set forth in § 4 of these Official Rules. Please read the Entry Requirements and the Official Rules before submitting your Entry, and follow directions carefully. Once an Entry is submitted, it cannot be modified or withdrawn. After submitting your Entry, you will receive an automated email confirming your submission.
Limit one (1) Entry per person and per email address. All Entries received in excess of the stated limitation will be disqualified. Use of scripts, macros, other automated entry software or programs, and/or other means or practices which subvert the entry process is prohibited, and all Entries received in such a manner will be disqualified.
By submitting your Entry, you represent and warrant that your Entry complies with the Entry Requirements, as defined in § 4 of these Official Rules, and you agree that The HSUS may deem your Entry ineligible if it determines, in its sole discretion, that your Entry either fails to conform to such Entry Requirements or otherwise violates the Official Rules. All Entries shall become the property of The HSUS when received and shall not be returned.
4. Entry Requirements
Each Entry must comply with the following requirements (collectively, the "Entry Requirements"):
- Only emailed Entries will be accepted. Entries received by mail, facsimile, or otherwise will not be accepted for entry into the Contest.
- Entries must be received during the Contest Period. Entries received by The HSUS before the Contest Period begins or after it ends are not eligible. The HSUS's computer shall be the official time-keeping device for the Contest.
- Entries must be complete, containing all Entrant Information and your Recipe. All Entries must be in English.
- The Recipe must conform to the following specifications:
- The Recipe must be suitable for preparation in a K-12 school cooking environment using conventional commercial kitchen equipment.
- The Recipe must be for an entrée (i.e., a main dish).
- The Recipe must include only plant-based ingredients (i.e., the Recipe cannot contain any animal products or by-products, such as beef, pork, poultry, fish, eggs, or dairy).
- The Recipe must include no more than twelve (12) total ingredients. Salt, pepper, water, and oil/cooking spray do not count toward the twelve (12) ingredients.
- The Recipe must include standard U.S. weights and volume measures, a complete list of ingredients, complete preparation directions (including pan sizes, cooking times, and cooking temperature), and the number of servings the Recipe yields. The Recipe must be standardized to include the aforementioned information for yields of both six (6) servings and fifty (50) servings.
- The Recipe must meet the following nutritional standards, per serving: (a) less than 10% of total calories may come from saturated fat; (b) a serving must contain no more than 640 mg of sodium; and (c) nutrition label or manufacturer specifications must indicate zero grams of trans fat per serving. The Recipe must include a complete nutritional information statement that sets forth the total calories, sodium, total fat and saturated fat per serving.
- The Recipe must not contain the brand name of any ingredient, the trademark of any manufacturer, or the name of any person other than the entrant.
- The Recipe must be the original creation of the entrant.
- You must be the sole owner and copyright holder of any content contained in your Entry, including, but not limited to, the Recipe. You must have the right to submit your Entry and to transfer and assign to The HSUS all rights in your Entry. You must not have granted exclusive rights to all or part of your Entry to any other person or entity. Entries containing content that has been published, is awaiting publication, or has won other contests are not eligible and will be disqualified.
- If the name, likeness, or other identifying information of another individual appears in your Entry, you must have obtained prior permission from such individual (or if such individual is under eighteen (18) years of age, from such individual's parent or legal guardian) to use his/her name, likeness, or other identifying information in your Entry.
- Entries must not contain any material that (a) invades the right of privacy of any individual; (b) infringes any trademark, trade name, trade secret, intellectual property right, or other common law or statutory right; (c) is unlawful, harmful, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, libelous, hateful, or racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable as determined by The HSUS in its sole discretion; (d) violates any applicable local, state, or federal law or regulation; or (e) violates any term or provision of these Official Rules.
The HSUS alone shall determine whether an Entry complies with the above Entry Requirements, and all decisions of The HSUS will be final. If your Entry fails to comply with the above Entry Requirements, as determined by The HSUS in its sole discretion, The HSUS may deem your Entry ineligible. Without limitation, The HSUS also reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to deem any Entry ineligible if it reflects negatively upon The HSUS, the Contest, or any other person or entity; is the subject of a notification of potential infringement or violation of law; is otherwise unsuitable for presentation in a public forum; or for any other reason at the sole discretion of The HSUS.
5. How the Winner Will Be Determined
A panel of judges comprised of employees of The HSUS (the "Round One Panel") will select finalists from among the eligible Entries based upon (a) the Recipe's ease of preparation, as determined by the preparation and cooking time stated in the Recipe; and (b) the Recipe's ease of use in schools, as determined by the general availability of the ingredients used in the Recipe. The number of finalists selected by the Round One Panel will depend upon the number of Entries received.
Employees of The HSUS will then prepare the Recipe of each finalist to be presented to and tasted by a panel of five (5) judges (the "Round Two Panel"). The Round Two Panel will select one (1) winner (the "Winner") from among the finalists' Entries based on the following weighted criteria:
Ease of preparation and ease of use in schools
Visual appeal of the finished dish, as prepared by The HSUS
The Round Two Panel will consist of one registered nurse, two food policy coordinators, and two school-aged children between the ages of 5-17.
All decisions of the Round One Panel, the Round Two Panel, and The HSUS are final. The composition of the Round One Panel and/or the Round Two Panel may change at any time without notice.
The Winner will receive a check in the amount of five hundred dollars ($500 USD). The check will be mailed to the Winner within thirty (30) days after the Winner has returned all required documentation to The HSUS. The approximate retail value of the prize is five hundred dollars ($500 USD).
7. Winner Notification/Prize Claims
The Winner will be selected by August 31, 2014 and will be notified via email by September 10, 2014. The Winner will be required to complete and sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release, a W-9, and, where legal, a Publicity Release, all of which must be returned within thirty (30) days of attempted prize notification or the prize will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner. The Winner may be required to provide additional documents verifying his/her eligibility, at The HSUS's sole discretion. In the event that the Winner's employer has a policy prohibiting the awarding of a prize to an employee or if the Winner is otherwise unable to accept a prize, the prize will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate Winner, at The HSUS's sole discretion. Further, in the event of noncompliance with these Official Rules, or if a prize or prize notification is unclaimed or returned as undeliverable, the prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate Winner, at The HSUS's sole discretion. If a dispute arises as to the identity of a Winner, the Winner will be deemed to be the authorized account holder of the email address from which the winning Entry was submitted. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned to an email address by the internet access provider, online service provider, internet service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address.
8. Prize Restrictions
Prizes are not transferable. No substitution of prizes is permitted except at the sole discretion of The HSUS, and The HSUS reserves the right to substitute a prize or any portion thereof with one of equal or greater value. Any federal, state, or local taxes on prizes and any expenses related to the acceptance and/or use of the prizes not specified herein as being awarded are the responsibility of the Winner.
9. Additional Terms
By entering the Contest, each entrant agrees to grant to The HSUS and its affiliates, and their legal representatives, successors, and assigns the nonexclusive right and permission to use, edit, modify, adapt, reproduce, publish, and distribute his/her Entry, or any portion thereof, throughout the world, in any printed form and by any kind of mechanical or electronic or any other method or device of reproduction, publication, and distribution now known or later developed, during the full term of the copyright, and without notification or payment, in connection with the Contest and/or The HSUS's Meatless Monday campaign.
By accepting a prize, the Winner consents to The HSUS's use of the Winner's name, likeness, voice, and/or biographical information for promotional and other purposes without additional compensation, except where prohibited by law.
By accepting a prize, the Winner acknowledges compliance with these Official Rules and agrees to release The HSUS, its affiliates, and its officers, directors, employees, independent contractors, representatives, and agents (“Releasees”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or the receipt, redemption, or use of any prize, including any injuries or damages of any kind sustained in connection with the use, acceptance, possession, or awarding of any prize.
10.Limitation of Liability
Releasees are not responsible for printing, typographical, human or other errors of any kind in any Contest-related materials or for stolen, lost, late, misdirected, damaged, returned, postage due, separated, undelivered, incomplete, unintelligible, or illegible Entries. Releasees are also not responsible for malfunctions of electronic equipment, computer hardware, or software or other technical problems related to any website, including, without limitation, any injury or damage to any computer or computer equipment related to or resulting from participation in the Contest. Releasees make no warranty, representation, or guarantee, whether express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the use of any prize or any portion thereof.
If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, or infection by computer viruses, bugs, or tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, actions of entrants, technical failures, or any other causes corrupt or infect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest, The HSUS reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any Entry or entrant and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest and at its sole discretion award a prize from among all eligible non-suspect Entries validly received prior to the action requiring such modification. Persons found to be tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Contest, as determined solely by The HSUS, will be disqualified along with any and all associated Entries. By participating in the Contest, each entrant agrees that the Contest is governed only by the laws of the District of Columbia for the resolution of all claims and disputes (excluding any claims against or disputes involving parties other than The HSUS relating to any prize awarded in the Contest).
12. List of Winners
For the name of the Winner, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to:
The Humane Society of the United States
Attn: Krystil Smith
700 Professional Drive
Gaithersburg, MD 20879
Requests must be received by November 1, 2014.
The HSUS (2100 L Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20037) is the sole sponsor of the Contest.