October 12, 2009
Farm Disaster Kit
Have the necessary supplies on hand
Make a disaster kit so you have supplies on hand in the event of a disaster. Place the kit in a central location that is known to everyone. Check the contents regularly to ensure fresh and complete supplies. Include the following items, then add items that you use every day:
- Current list of all animals, including their location and records of feeding, vaccinations, and tests. Make this information available at various locations on the farm. Make sure that you have proof of ownership for all animals.
- Supplies for temporary identification of your animals, such as plastic neckbands and permanent markers to label your animals with your name, address, and telephone number.
- Basic first aid kit.
- Handling equipment such as halters, cages, and appropriate tools for each kind of animal.
- Water, feed, and buckets. Tools and supplies needed for sanitation.
- Disaster equipment such as a cell phone, flashlights, portable radios, and batteries.
- Other safety and emergency items for your vehicles and trailers.
- Food, water, and disaster supplies for your family.