May 9, 2013
Ten Ways to Help Animals in Labs
Every animal has a story.
A chimpanzee named Kitty is left to suffer for decades in a New Mexico laboratory as a "breeder," giving birth to as many as 14 baby chimpanzees for use in research.
Echo, a pet dog, is stolen from his backyard in Arkansas and sold by a Class B dealer to a research laboratory in Minnesota.
It's hard to believe that their stories are true, and yet Kitty and Echo represent just two of the millions of animals who are harmed by experiments or suffer in laboratories in the United States every year.
You can help. Take action with our list of ten ways to make a difference for animals in labs.
Top Ten Ways to Help
2. Help raise the funds needed to move all of the government-owned chimpanzees at New Iberia Research Center to their new home at the Chimp Haven sanctuary.
» Donate now
» Learn about chimpanzees used in research
3. Urge more than 350 U.S. universities to prohibit severe suffering in animals at campus laboratories, then find out where your school stands.
» Take action
» Learn about protecting animals at universities from severe suffering
5. Receive the latest news about animals used in research on your Facebook page.
» "Like" the Animal Testing Campaign page
6. Donate to help animals used in harmful experiments.
» Give to support our work helping animals in laboratories
» Give to the Chimps Deserve Better Fund
» Give to help the 100+ chimpanzees being moved to Chimp Haven sanctuary
7. Wear your cause on your sleeve! The proceeds from these animal-friendly items support our work and help animals in laboratories.
» Shop Zazzle's Chimps Deserve Better store
» Shop Zazzle's Be Cruelty-Free store
8. Volunteer your time, resources or money to a chimpanzee sanctuary.
» Find a sanctuary
9. If you are a scientist, health professional, or laboratory worker and are interested in helping us advance one or more of the issues we work on (e.g., sharing an experience you had in a laboratory, endorsing an effort or campaign, etc.), please contact us.
10. Stay on top of the latest news and learn more about the issues affecting animals used in experiments at our Animals in Laboratories homepage.
Even More Ways to Take Action
- Connect with animals who have endured life in a laboratory at our Faces of Animal Research gallery.
- Use our interactive map to view the USDA reports of animal research facilities in your area at our Interactive Map of Animal Research Laboratories.
- Get suggestions on how to be a more compassionate consumer at our Animal-Friendly Shopping Tips page.
- Read examples of animal experiments at our Examples of Severe Animal Suffering in Laboratories page.
- Find out more about the ways cosmetics are tested on animals at our Cosmetics Tests That Use Animals page.
- Work with us—view volunteer and internship opportunities and job opportunities with The Humane Society of the United States.
- Read Wayne's blog: "55 Actions to Help Animals and The HSUS"