November 3, 2011
Donate to the Chimps Deserve Better Fund
The Chimps Deserve Better Fund fuels The Humane Society of the United States’ efforts to save chimpanzees used in research from a life sentence in a laboratory and provide them with peace in sanctuary.
With your help, we'll end the use of chimpanzees in invasive research and contribute to their care in sanctuaries during their final years.
Fifty percent of donations to this fund will be devoted to policy and advocacy efforts to end invasive chimpanzee research, and fifty percent will be devoted to sanctuary capacity building and future care.
Policy and advocacy efforts will include:
- Ensuring passage of the Great Ape Protection and Cost Savings Act, federal legislation that would phase out invasive research on all of the approximately 1,000 chimpanzees in laboratories and retire the approximately 500 chimpanzees owned by the federal government.
- Conducting investigations to expose what happens behind closed laboratory doors in the U.S., like the one we revealed in 2009 which took place inside of the world's largest chimpanzee laboratory—watch the video here.
- Pursuing legal cases for activities related to chimpanzee research and maintenance, such as the recent petitions we filed with the U.S. Departments of Justice and Health and Human Service in an effort to halt horrific infant deaths and possible illegal breeding of chimpanzees at New Iberia Research Center.
- Pressuring private corporations, including pharmaceutical companies, to end the use of chimpanzees for invasive research.
Sanctuary care and capacity efforts will include:
- Providing future funding for the care of chimpanzees who are retired as a result of our advocacy efforts.
- Assisting chimpanzee sanctuaries with capacity building.
- Holding those who have exploited chimpanzees—including the federal government and private corporations—financially accountable for sanctuary care.
- Educating the public about the important work that sanctuaries do, such as rehabilitating chimpanzees who have undergone extensive trauma in laboratories.
Help chimps now
Every day as we wake up, a chimpanzee is continuing to languish in a laboratory cage. Each night as we go to sleep, a chimpanzee is trying to get comfortable on concrete and steel. You can help empower a dedicated, determined team on behalf of these chimpanzees with your gift to the Chimps Deserve Better Fund. Please donate today »