April 25, 2011
Michael Vick's Speaking Events
Warning young people away from dogfighting
March 26, 2010, was a day that many young men from Chicago's west side are not likely to forget.
On that day they gathered at John Marshall High School to hear NFL star and convicted dogfighter Michael Vick talk about his troubled past with dogfighting.
His words to the crowd were strong: Don't be like me. Don't follow the rest of the crowd. Exercise good judgement. Be a compassionate person.
After his speech, Vick stayed for a 45-minute discussion session with a group of a dozen or so young men whose own past (and present) are similarly steeped in the horrors of dogfighting.
Vick's message has been consistent throughout his nationwide speaking engagements to youth in urban areas as part of his pledge to help The HSUS' End Dogfighting campaign, which seeks to end urban (or "street") dogfighting.
Vick's efforts with the End Dogfighting campaign continue. To date, he has also spoken to boys and young men in:
- Philadelphia, North Philly Aztecs Community Program (April 6, 2011)
- Philadelphia, Roberto Clemente Middle School (Feb. 8, 2011)
- Philadelphia, Boys' Latin School (Dec. 14, 2010)
- Philadelphia, Juniata Park Academy (Dec. 7, 2010)
- New Haven (Nov. 23, 2010)
- Philadelphia (Sept. 28, 2010)
- Baltimore (May 6, 2010)
- Chicago (Mar. 26, 2010)
- Durham (Feb. 26, 2010)
- Miami (Feb. 8, 2010)
- Philadelphia (Jan. 26, 2010)
- Newark (Dec.1, 2009)
- Newport News (Nov. 30, 2009)
- Philadelphia (Oct. 13, 2009)
- Washington, D.C. (Sept. 29, 2009)
- Philadelphia (Sept. 8, 2009)
- Chicago (Aug. 12, 2009)
- Atlanta (Aug. 8, 2009)