March 11, 2013
How Your Donation Saves Seals
Canada's seal slaughter is a barbaric annual event where men armed with rifles and clubs descend on the ice to kill seal pups for their fur.
Many of these young animals may never have eaten solid food when they are killed. They are utterly defenseless.
Your donations help us document the seal slaughter so we can effectively:
- Campaign throughout southeast Asia for bans on trade in seal products
- Defend the European Union ban from Canada's aggressive World Trade Organization challenge
- Promote a federal sealing industry buyout in which the Canadian government would compensate the sealers for lost income when the slaughter ends and promote employment alternatives.
- Expand the boycott of Canadian seafood throughout the U.S. and EU, giving the fishing industry in Canada a clear economic incentive to stop killing baby seals
Why continued support is critical
Our campaign to stop the seal slaughter is a bigger project than you might have imagined because of entrenched political support for the slaughter. Our efforts to save the seals extend far beyond Canada to Asia, Europe, and the rest of the world. Consider these facts:
- We're fighting a powerful industry established for centuries with the full support of its government, and it will take a multi-year international endeavor to bring it down.
- Documenting the cruelty of the seal slaughter is a large expenditure. Helicopters, video equipment, staff time, and many other necessities of this campaign are very expensive.
- We and our partners are currently campaigning in thirty countries to shut the slaughter down.
- Thanks to your support, we are making significant progress against the seal slaughter. We now see increased political support for ending the seal slaughter and a massive reduction in the number of seals killed each year.
- We believe the end to this slaughter of baby animals is within sight. To take full advantage of the progress we've made, we need a major victory to tip the balance in favor of the seals. This will only be possible with the continued support of people like you.
Can you help us reach the finish line with a donation for the seals today?