May 26, 2010
Spay Day™ Results
Find out what happened during Spay Day™ 2010
The 16th annual Spay Day™ took place on Feb. 23, 2010, with events in honor of Spay Day™ taking place throughout the month of February.
Reported spays and neuters
A total of 464 event organizers in 49 states, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands, along with the help of thousands of volunteers, worked together to host 607 events in an effort to help end the tragedy of euthanizing homeless pets. Together they reported that 44,915 cats and dogs were spayed or neutered during Spay Day™ 2010. This represents an 18 percent increase over the 38,168 spays and neuters reported during Spay Day 2009.
For the sixth year in a row, Rhode Island was not represented during Spay Day™; 31 event organizers registered events but did not report their results.
Through the 2010 Spay Day™ Online Pet Photo contest, generous contestants once again donated more than $500,000 to benefit the spay/neuter efforts of the Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association's Field Services program and Humane Society International, as well as those of 225 eligible U.S. and 63 eligible international Spay Day™ event organizers. The benefiting U.S. Spay Day™ event organizers estimate they will be able to spay or neuter more than 8,557 additional cats and dogs with the $253,925 donated to them.
Mutts® comic strip creator and HSUS board member Patrick McDonnell dedicated his Mutts strip dated Feb. 23, 2010 to Spay Day™»
The Doris Day Animal Foundation again generously provided a special Spay Day™ grant so the pets of owners in financial need could receive spay/neuter surgery. In 2009 DDAF's grant allowed for 1,571 surgeries to be performed in 11 states. This year's grant allowed for 1,897 pets to be spayed or neutered in 11 states.
We wish to thank the people who administered the grant in each of the states:
- Alabama, Donald Kendrick, Spay Alabama (103 surgeries)
- Arizona, Sonia Hernandez, The Spay/Neuter Hotline (108 surgeries)
- Florida, Linda Hamilton, Animal Coalition of Tampa (318 surgeries)
- Georgia, Jean Ebert, SpayGeorgia (81 surgeries)
- Indiana, Melissa Kusturin, Indiana Spay/Neuter Alliance (202 surgeries)
- Iowa, Mary Blount Mincey, Spay Iowa (175 surgeries)
- Michigan, Amber Sitko, Spay Michigan (177 surgeries)
- Mississippi, Elaine Adair, Mississippi Spay & Neuter (199 surgeries)
- Montana, Sandy Newton, Spay Montana (175 surgeries)
- Ohio, Anita Barron, Spay Ohio (159 surgeries)
- Virginia, Jackie Bennet, Spay Virginia (200 surgeries)
Total surgeries made possible by the Doris Day Animal Foundation: 1,897
Thanks to Spay Day™ partner the Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association and Spay Day™ sponsor Trimline Veterinary Recovery Collars.
Questions about Spay Day™? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org