February 9, 2010
Ten Ways to Show Your Love
This Valentine's Day, let us count the ways we love our friends with fur, feathers, fetlock or fleece...
“How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.”
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning
How often have the animals in our lives made us feel more loving, more forgiving—more human? This Valentine's Day, let's remember the animals who need us the most.
Here are ten ways to show your love for animals every day:
1. Let them eat treats! This week's Recipe of the Week is actually four recipes: "Bowser Biscuits" for dogs, "Better than Grass" salad for cats, "Sweet Potato Surprise" for pet birds, and Chocolate Orange Cupcakes for the special people in your life.
2. Trade up to animal-friendly cosmetics.
3. Make a date at a restaurant that supports the global boycott of Canadian seafood to protest the seal hunt.
5. Eat your vegetables and less meat.
7. Explore bunny bliss: a different kind of matchmaking.
8. Give a foster or permanent home to a homeless horse.
9. Share a copy of "Made for Each Other: The Biology of the Human-Animal Bond."
10. Make your state a more humane one for animals.
Bonus Tip! The 16th annual Spay Day takes place on Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2010, with events taking place throughout the month of February. Spaying and neutering pets reduces pet overpopulation and is essential to bringing an end to pet euthanasia. To find Spay Day events in your area and learn how you can help, visit Spay Day 2010.
See recent entries in our Spay Day Pet Photo Contest and enter your own pet(s) today.