Kesha Encourages Guiltless Glam
Recording artist takes on animal testing of cosmetics
Animal isn’t just the name of recording artist Kesha’s debut album. It also describes one of her great passions. She’s previously proven her concern for our fellow creatures by serving as Humane Society International’s first global ambassador, and she’s more recently confirmed that commitment by starring in a PSA and print ad promoting HSUS and HSI’s Be Cruelty Free campaign.
In 2013, The HSUS honored her with the Wyler Award, which recognizes a celebrity or public figure for increasing awareness of animal issues via the media.
“Advocating for animals is second nature to me," Kesha said in response to the honor. "My affinity with animals and the natural world inspires me and my music. I don't understand how anyone can justify abusing or exploiting animals, and as long as it continues, I intend to keep talking about it."
Kesha’s goal is to encourage respect and compassion for animals nationally and around the world.
Kesha's animal advocacy
- As part of the Cruelty-Free 2013 campaign, Kesha called on the EU to carry out a ban on the sale of cosmetics tested on animals.
- An avid diver, Kesha supports national and global movements to ban the trade and sale of shark fins. Watch her anti-shark finning message.
- Kesha called for an end to Canada’s annual slaughter of baby seals and supported HSI’s Canadian seafood boycott.
- Kesha has seen the hardships of street dogs firsthand and filmed a PSA bringing awareness to the issue.
- Using her social media reach, Kesha has educated her fans about inhumane management of wild horses in the U.S., dogfighting, coral reef protection and the preservation of polar bears.
“We are all animals,” Kesha said. “One of the main underlying sentiments of my music is to respect all living creatures just as they are. I believe that together, we can change laws that allow innocent animals to be unjustly mistreated and abused all over the world.”
Kesha has taken the world by storm since the release of her debut album, Animal, in 2010. That year, she was declared one of Billboard’s Hot 100 Artists; her smash debut single, “TiK ToK,” was named Billboard’s No. 1 Hot 100 Song, was the most played song of 2010 and was the biggest-selling digital track in the world.
Kesha has had eight consecutive Top 10 hits, including four No. 1 singles: “TiK ToK,” “Your Love Is My Drug,” “We R Who We R” and, most recently, “Timber.” The latter, a collaboration with Pitbull, peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard 100 singles charts, Top 40 charts, UK charts, European singles charts and Spotify. It was nominated for a Billboard Music Award for Top Rap Song and an MTV Video Music Award for Best Collaboration, and it won the 2014 iHeartRadio Music Award for Best Collaboration. Between Animal and her latest release, Warrior, Kesha has sold more than 4 million units worldwide.