April 3, 2009
Animal Care Expo 2009 Coming to Las Vegas
The world's largest educational conference and tradeshow for animal sheltering professionals brings together leaders from animal care, control, and rescue organizations from across the United States and around the world. Animal Care Expo 2009 will be held at Bally's Las Vegas, April 6-9.
The Humane Society of the United States, which hosts Animal Care Expo, is combining the annual event with one of its other major conferences, the National Conference on Animals in Disaster, which is attended by emergency managers and responders as well as the animal sheltering and rescue community.
The conference includes 48 workshops, exhibits, and eight daylong certificate courses. In addition to extensive programs focused on caring for dogs and cats, the program also includes workshops on horses, wildlife rescue, elephants in entertainment, rabbits, farm animals and more. Expo features specific tracks on veterinary medicine, shelter operations, emergency services and more.
- Workshops on topics such as trap-neuter-return programs to manage feral cat populations; animal shelter design and housing; emergency preparedness for pets; off-site shelter adoptions; combating cruelties such as animal fighting, puppy mills and chaining; and the dangers that methamphetamines pose to animal control personnel.
- An estimated 175 exhibitors offering products and services for animal sheltering and emergency management professionals.
- Daylong certificates on topics such as air support safety for animal disaster responders, volunteer programs, animal cruelty and fighting investigations, veterinary forensics, and shelter architecture.
- International best-selling author Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson will deliver an inspiring welcome address to attendees on the morning of Tuesday, April 7 and afterward will sign copies of his books, When Elephants Weep, Dogs Never Lie About Love and The 9 Emotional Lives of Cats, and the newly released The Face on Your Plate: The Truth about Food.
- Talks and presentations from the leading voices representing local, national and international animal protection organizations.
- Opportunities to network, share ideas and be energized about the critical role that animal welfare and emergency management organizations play in protecting people and animals around the world.
Registration costs for the full conference range from $175 to $250 depending on the time of registration and participation in The HSUS' Shelter Partners program. Registration for single days or daylong programs is also available. Discounted hotel rates are available.
Information about The HSUS' Animal Care Expo 2009 is available at animalsheltering.org/expo.
The first Animal Care Expo was held in 1992.
The Humane Society of the United States is the nation's largest animal protection organization — backed by 11 million Americans, or one of every 28. For more than a half-century, The HSUS has been fighting for the protection of all animals through advocacy, education and hands-on programs. Celebrating animals and confronting cruelty — On the web at humanesociety.org.