November 13, 2013
Finalists Announced in Nationwide Fur-Free Fashion Design Contest
The Humane Society of the United States and The Art Institutes sponsor annual Cool vs. Cruel design competition
More than 20 students from The Art Institutes system of schools across the country have been chosen to represent their schools as finalists in the ninth annual Cool vs. Cruel Fashion Design Competition sponsored by The Humane Society of the United States and The Art Institutes.
Michelle McDonald, fashion outreach manager for The HSUS, said, “This competition gives us the opportunity to educate the next generation of fashion designers on the cruel and unnecessary use of fur while encouraging them to be innovative and explore new techniques and alternatives.”
The Cool vs. Cruel competition challenges fashion students at The Art Institutes schools throughout the U.S. and Canada to creatively reinterpret and replace animal fur on runway designs by Diane von Furstenberg, Tom Ford, Derek Lam or Moncler.
This year’s contest features a new challenge: for the first time since the competition’s launch in 2005, the use of faux fur was eliminated, encouraging students to innovate with their material choices.
The HSUS awards each finalist a cash prize and entry into the national competition. The national grand-prize winner will receive a cash prize and an expense-paid, week-long internship in New York City with one of the celebrated designers from the panel of judges.
The judges’ panel consists of professionals from the fashion industry, including designers Carmen Artigas, John Bartlett, Victoria Bartlett, Leanne Hilgart, Kimberly Ovitz, PAPER magazine editor Mickey Boardman, designer and founder of OlsenHaus Elizabeth Olsen, founder and president of Donna Salyers’ Fabulous Furs Donna Salyers, writer and editor Nell Alk and designer and founder of Brave GentleMan Joshua Katcher.
Photos of the finalists and their designs are available upon request and can be viewed here: https://www.facebook.com/HSUSFurFree.
To learn more about the competition, The HSUS’ fur-free campaign and to view the original runway looks, visit humanesociety.org/coolvscruel. To learn more about The Art Institutes, visit artinstitutes.edu.
2013 regional Cool vs. Cruel winners:
- Luis Aponte, Miami International University of Art & Design
- Lucia Balderrama, The Art Institute of Charlotte, a campus of South University
- Emi Ballester, The Art Institute of California-Orange County, a campus of Argosy University
- Josue Beltran, The Art Institute of California-Hollywood, a campus of Argosy University
- Erica Jones, The Art Institute of Dallas, a campus of South University
- Soo Kim, The Art Institute of Tucson
- Mariana Llausas, The Art Institute of San Antonio, a branch of The Art Institute of Houston
- Kandace McVickar, The Illinois Institute of Art-Schaumburg
- Joelle Monaghan, The Art Institute of Indianapolis
- Tammy Montella, The Illinois Institute of Art-Chicago
- Nhi Ho Phuong Nguyen, The Art Institute of Houston
- Caitlin Pitre, The Art Institute of Vancouver
- Dawn Redman, The Art Institute of Pittsburgh
- Jesus Romero, The Art Institute of California-San Francisco, a campus of Argosy University
- Margaret Sanzo, The Art Institute of Colorado
- Jacqlyn Schwartz, The Art Institute of Salt Lake City
- Nicole Shaw, The Art Institute of Philadelphia
- Evelyn Thompson, The Art Institute of Charleston, a branch of The Art Institute of Atlanta
- Gerald Thompson, The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale
- Shiader Vue, The Art Institutes International Minnesota
- Melanie Witt, The Art Institute of Seattle