February 6, 2015
Puppy Mills Research
Puppy mills are inhumane commercial dog-breeding facilities that may sell puppies in pet stores, online, or directly to the public (in flea markets or via classified ads).
Puppy mills disregard the dogs' health—both physical and emotional—in order to maximize profits.
It is estimated that there are at least 10,000 puppy mills in the U.S. Fewer than 3,000 of these are regulated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
The Humane Society of the United States presents the following reports on puppy mills for reference by animal advocates, members of the media, and researchers.
HSUS research on puppy mills
- Puppy Mills Facts and Figures (2015) [PDF]
- Puppy Buyers' Complaints, a Five-Year Summary [PDF]
- Severe USDA Violations [PDF]
- Problems with Unlicensed and Internet-Based Puppy Mills [PDF]
- Map of USDA-Licensed Breeders By State (2015) [PDF]
- Map of States with Puppy Mill Laws
- Fact Sheet on Veterinary Problems in Puppy Mill Dogs [PDF]
- Fact Sheet on Puppy Brokers and Dealers [PDF]
- Fact Sheet on Puppy Mills and Flea Markets [PDF]
- Economic Impact of a Puppy Mill (Revised 2013) [PDF]
- Environmental Impacts of Puppy Mills [PDF]
- Cage Stacking Fact Sheet [PDF]
- Wire or Grid Flooring—HSUS Fact Sheet [PDF]
- Colorado Legal Petition Concerning Wire Flooring in Dog Kennels [PDF]
HSUS puppy mills investigations and exposés
- Where Do Virginia's Pet Store Puppies Really Come From? [PDF]
- Hidden Cameras Reveal Tall Tales, Poor Conditions at Stores and Flea Markets in Texas [PDF]
- Majority of Maryland Puppy-Selling Stores Found in Violation
- A Horrible Hundred: Selected Puppy Mills in the United States in 2013 (listed by state [PDF]) (full report [PDF])
- 101 Puppy Mills: A Selection of Problem Puppy Mills in the United States in 2014 (listed by state [PDF]) (full report [PDF])
- Chicagoland Pet Stores Investigation Report 2012 [PDF]
- Petland Investigation Report [PDF]
- New York Puppy Stores—Investigation Report 2011 [PDF]
- Missouri's Dirty Dozen—Full Report [PDF]
- Update on Missouri's Dirty Dozen—March 2011 [PDF]
- AKC Won't Take a Stand against Puppy Mills [PDF]
- Investigation: Purebred Breeders, LLC—2011
- Applied Animal Behavior Science: Mental Health of Dogs Formerly Used as "Breeding Stock" in Commercial Breeding Establishments
- Disposal of Dead Dogs in Commercial Breeding Facilities [PDF]
- Environmental Impacts of One Puppy Mill among Many [PDF]
- USDA Office of Inspector General, Animal Care Program: Inspections of Problematic Dealers (2010) [PDF]
- Better Business Bureau: The Puppy Industry in Missouri (2010) [PDF]
For research and information on the puppy mill industry, please visit humanesociety.org/puppymills.