The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking an Associate Principal, Audit and Reporting for the Accounting department. The main responsibility of the role is to manage and coordinate all financial statement audits for HSUS, Humane Society Legislative Fund (HSLF) and all international offices. This includes drafting the audited financial statements for HSUS and HSLF, reviewing the statements for the international entities and coordinating preparing/collecting all financial statement support documents requested by external auditors.
This position will be responsible for:
- Communicating audit timing, request lists, and due dates to ensure that all schedules are prepared timely and accurately, that they tie to the financial statements, and ensuring that the audits remain on schedule;
- Keeping current on the monthly activity by reviewing monthly financial statement packages and participating in review sessions;
- Reviewing internal control procedures and ensuring that any audit or management’s comments resulting from the prior year audit are reviewed and incorporated into control procedures;
- Drafting and reviewing audited financial statements based on U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles to ensure the completeness and accuracy before providing to the audit team;
- Reviewing any materials provided for the international audits, including the financial statement packages to ensure that they are consistent with prior year, accurate, and complete;
- Assisting the International Accounting Team with the international audits as needed;
- Serving as the primary liaison with external audit firms which includes coordinating the audit timing, management of the audit team while on site, and ensuring that all audit schedules are prepared timely, reviewed, and provided to all participants;
- Keeping current with best practices in accounting standards for non-profit organizations;
- Ensuring that the appropriate parties are updated on the progress of the audits and provide updates on any significant issues that may arise during the audit process;
- Serving as the internal liaison with other departments regarding audit status/information requested related to the audited financial statements;
- Assisting with research related to financial statement queries from program departments.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Business Administration or equivalent work experience required;
- Minimum five or more years’ experience in financial reporting;
- Public accounting experience preferred. Certified Public Accountant preferred;
- Nonprofit experience a plus;
- Experience in drafting audited financial statements (including footnotes);
- Proficient in Excel;
- Experience working in an accounting software and/or reporting software in order to pull data for financial reporting;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to manage the work of individuals that do not report directly to you;
- Ability to handle and maintain confidential and sensitive information;
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes;
- Must be able to work hours in excess of 40 per week when required.
Please submit a cover letter and resumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Gaithersburg, MD.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identify, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status. EOE
Return to Employment Opportunities