The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking an Associate, Prospect Research for the Major Gifts department. This position is responsible for providing the organization with accurate, focused, and thoughtful prospect research, in support of the Philanthropy division, toward raising the optimum amount of funds for our general operating fund, programs, and campaigns.
This position will be responsible for:
- Collecting, interpreting, documenting, and summarizing descriptive, analytical, and evaluative data on current and prospective major donors via software, internet, and other sources in support of raising optimum funds for the HSUS;
- Presenting research and donor intelligence to frontline fundraisers in a variety of formats, from targeted information to full bios; other types of research may include event bios and full briefings;
- Attending Prospect Assignment Meetings on a bi-weekly basis to monitor/facilitate additions, removals, and changes to major gift portfolios;
- Providing incisive identification research on new major donors ($5,000+) and any requested portfolio additions at Prospect Assignment Meetings;
- Regularly monitor and maintaining data hygiene in the CRM;
- As appropriate, assisting frontline fundraisers with donor contact information;
- Developing a clear understanding of the programs and functions of the HSUS;
- Housing and maintaining research, and selecting research source materials, within the CRM;
- Following media to the degree that it impacts our organization and major donors.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required;
- Minimum two years of nonprofit research experience desired;
- Solid understanding of the donor cultivation process from identification, to qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship required;
- Highly knowledgeable/proficient in use of computer and research software tools;
- Experience with LexisNexis, WealthEngine, iWave, and CRM desired;
- Experience analyzing Securities & Exchange Commission filings and other financial data required;
- Excellent writing skills and demonstrated ability to clearly communicate complex information;
- Ability to analyze and summarize data in support of prospect development required;
- Ability to formulate productive partnerships with the staff required;
- Experience in researching individuals, corporations, and foundations, and ability to match donor’s priorities to HSUS programs and initiatives;
- Candidate must be a self-starter, detail-oriented, well-organized, and able to plan and execute projects from conception to completion;
- Ability to manage and produce multiple requests at a time is essential;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Please submit a cover letter and resumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Gaithersburg, MD.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identify, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status. EOE
Return to Employment Opportunities