The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, is seeking a Coordinator, Corporate Policy for the Campaigns department. The main responsibility of this position is to engage institutional food service providers and major food corporations to drive supply chain reforms, to add more plant-proteins and support animal welfare initiatives.
This position will be responsible for:
- Scheduling meetings with companies and providing information on campaign(s);
- Persuading and influencing them to reduce meat and implement farm animal welfare policies;
- Maintaining relationships with institutions and companies in the food industry with check-ins, emails, phone calls, and visits with the goal of persuading them to increase plant-based options and implementing animal welfare policies;
- Planning and coordinating initiatives aimed at moving companies to report publicly on their progress implementing established animal welfare policies;
- Maintaining memberships to relevant organizations;
- Attending meetings/conventions to aid in networking/relationship building with food companies;
- Collaborating with team members to brainstorm creative ideas and ways to persuade and influence institutions and companies to increase plant-based options and implementing animal welfare policies;
- Assisting with other campaign work of the farm animal protection section (e.g., providing testimony, assisting with public policy efforts, etc.) as requested.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- High school diploma required;
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred;
- A minimum of two years of experience in food policy work required;
- The ability to foster/build relationships by reinforcing trust and respect, and demonstrating high standards of tact, diplomacy, and discretion;
- Knowledge about factory farming, nutrition/health, and environmental issues a plus;
- A high level of confidence, integrity, interpersonal skills, and a professional executive presence for effectively interacting with and influencing others, internally and externally, as well as for facilitating meetings and conducting public speaking/presentations;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes;
- Strong organizational, planning, and time management skills with demonstrated flexibility;
- Ability to manage multiple and often changing priorities and issues of varying complexity, while meeting time sensitive deadlines and deliverables;
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member in a team environment;
- Must be willing and able to travel and have a valid driver’s license.
Please submit a cover letter and resumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is based in Gaithersburg, MD or may be remote.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identify, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status. EOE