The Humane Society of the United States, the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking a Culinary Specialist for its Campaigns Department. This position will work alongside major food service providers and institutions to create plant-based culinary programs by developing curricula and educating food service professionals on the many benefits that offering more plant-based menu options will have for their business. This position also represents the organization at food industry conferences and events.
This position will be responsible for:
- Creating curricula, scheduling, and conducting plant-based culinary programs for institutional food service providers;
- Leading plant-based culinary education programs, conducting hands on workshops and demonstrations, helping institutions design menus, develop recipes, and assisting with the development and delivery of marketing and institutional communication programs;
- Establishing relationships and conducting live and web presentations and working with institutions and companies toward the goal of helping them to develop plant-based culinary programs;
- Drafting and coordinating support materials related to the Food and Nutrition campaign including the development of training materials, toolkits and case studies;
- Partnering with and assisting other Food and Nutrition team members deliver plant-based culinary programs;
- Developing relationships with culinary institutions like the Culinary Institutions of America, the Food and Beverage Institute, Art Institute and others to influence the development of plant-based culinary education programs;
- Serving as a spokesperson by performing interviews and cooking demos to keep the food and nutrition work front and center within the food industry at conferences and events;
- Assisting with other campaign work of the Farm Animal Protection section and representing the organization to donors and supporters.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in the culinary industry required;
- Minimum of two years of experience in food and nutrition, preferably within the food service industry required;
- Strong knowledge of food and foodservice industry procurement a plus;
- Strong knowledge about factory farming, nutrition/health and environmental issues a plus;
- The ability to build/foster relationships by reinforcing trust and respect, and demonstrating high standards of tact, diplomacy and discretion;
- A high level of confidence, integrity, interpersonal skills, and a professional executive presence for effectively interacting with and influencing others, internal and external to the HSUS, as well as for facilitating meetings and conducting public speaking/presentations;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes;
- Excellent organizational, planning, and time management skills with demonstrated flexibility and the ability to manage multiple and often changing priorities and issues of varying complexity, while meeting time sensitive deadlines and deliverables;
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member in a team environment;
- Must be willing and able to travel extensively;
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
Please submit a cover letter and resumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is a remote position.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identify, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status.