The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, is seeking a Field Rescue Responder. The main responsibility of this position is to, under the direction of the supervisor, respond to requests of animal rescue due to natural disasters or emergent situations of neglect/abuse.
This position will be responsible for:
- Responding to disasters/emergencies as assigned, and conducting damage assessments of impacted areas;
- Assisting Animal Rescue Team members and other volunteers during field response including rescue, and sheltering operations;
- Driving rescued animals to a rescue facility/location as directed;
- Taking inventory, restocking, and repairing animal care equipment and vehicles;
- Maintaining working knowledge of and contributing to the documentation of Animal Rescue standard operating procedures and implementing during response;
Providing accurate weekly and daily situation reports and animal census as requested.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent required;
- Five years of animal handling experience, two of those years in an animal control position, 3 years in animal shelter experience preferred;
- Two years in disaster/emergency response preferred;
- Animal handling skills and knowledge of animal protection issues – animal control, shelter experience, etc. – particularly animals under stress;
- Working knowledge and experience with NIMS/ICS or commitment to take and pass required courses within six months;
- Good organizational and communication skills;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Ability and willingness to take courses where indicated to improve skills;
- Ability to travel on very short notice to assist in a disaster response as requested. Must be able to be on the road several days a month and to work outside standard business hours;
- Ability to handle physical aspects of the job to include, but not limited to: walking, jumping, reaching, moving, and lifting objects;
- Ability to work around a wide variety of animals and in physically demanding environments;
- Ability to work under pressure with aplomb;
- Ability to cope with ambiguity, make reasoned decisions with limited information available, and effectively demonstrate ability to handle emergency situations with a calm demeanor;
- Demonstrated ability to adapt best practices to our organizational needs;
- Must maintain valid state driver’s license. CDL preferred but not required.
Please submit a cover letter and resumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is based in Nashville, TN/Remote.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identify, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status. EOE
Back to Employment Opportunities