Millions of people are at home now in the midst of a pandemic, disinfecting and cleaning, taking cold and flu medications—with the potential they might unwittingly poison their pets.
The cleaning products consumers have carried home from stores, stripping shelves bare, can kill the virus that causes COVID-19 but can just as easily sicken or even kill dogs and cats. Cleaners with powerful odors that promise results should alert pet owners, particularly cat owners, to danger, experts say. The ingredients that make disinfectants effective make them toxic for companion animals: alcohol, bleach, hydrogen peroxide, chemical compounds that contain the word “phenol,” etc.
In the confusion and sometimes chaos of disrupted household routines and families living in close quarters while under “stay at home” or “shelter in place” orders, smart cleaning can be a challenge. People must be extra vigilant, says Dr. Barbara Hodges, director of advocacy and outreach for the Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association.
“If you are washing the floor and the phone rings and you pick it up and go sit on the couch to talk, your dog or cat could be playing with that water, knocking it over, licking it,” Hodges says. “When you’re cleaning, you should only be cleaning.”
Over the counter medications such as acetaminophen—one of the pain and fever reducers people take for COVID-19 symptoms, under a number of brand names—can also endanger pets. In March, as the COVID-19 pandemic spread across the U.S., accidental ingestions by pets of drugs like Tylenol were driving a rise in calls to the APSCA national pet poison hotline, the organization reports.
If you suspect your pet has been poisoned (symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and seizures), seek veterinary medical help right away. Call a local emergency vet for advice and to find out whether they should see your pet. If they are not immediately available for advice, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
The easiest way to keep your pets safe and healthy as you try to keep yourself that way? Keep pets out of the room when you are cleaning. Do not leave disinfectants or cold and flu medications unattended. After you have used them, store them in a place that pets cannot reach. If you wet floors or counters with disinfectants and cleaners, keep pets away until they dry. Ideally, rinse floors with water.
These are the same precautions people should always take, but now they are more important than ever, says Dr. Tim Evans, associate professor of toxicology at the University of Missouri. “With increased frequency of use, there will be more opportunities for poisonings to happen.”
In January, even before the COVID-19 crisis, a popular disinfectant in the United Kingdom made the news when a dog walked across a wet, newly cleaned floor, licked her paws and was poisoned (she survived). Hodges says she has also seen a number of pets with contact dermatitis likely caused by potent carpet and floor cleaners.
Both cats and dogs are at risk, but cats are particularly vulnerable because they are small, their bodies do not handle toxins as well (since they lack certain liver enzymes), and they are constantly licking their fur, says Danielle Bays, senior analyst for cat protection and policy for the Humane Society of the United States. Cats are also curious, inclined to get into seemingly inaccessible places and will explore new items with their nose or paws.
Dogs are often larger than cats, metabolize some chemicals differently and do not clean their coats, but they do lick their paws. They may also lap up or wolf down medications or cleaning products, especially liquids left in buckets.
Think of your pets like young children, Hodges says. “Small amounts of things can really, really hurt them.”
Tips for keeping pets safe
- When using cleaning products, read the labels carefully to check the ingredients and follow use instructions exactly. Be conscious of the strength of the particular product, such as alcohol or bleach, and by how much you should dilute it. Using more than recommended is not better. The higher the accidental dose a pet gets, the more toxic.
- When you are done with liquid cleaners, rinse out buckets and mops. When you are done with wipes, throw them out right away. Make sure your household garbage bags and cans have lids secured at all times. Shut and secure the doors of cabinets or closets or rooms where you store cleaning products, equipment and medications.
- When bathing pets, use only shampoos formulated for the particular species and follow the directions. Do not assume shampoos for dogs are appropriate for cats, unless the label specifies both species. Do not use wet wipes on pets unless they are labeled as pet grooming wipes.
- To clean pet bedding (or your own, if your pet sleeps in your bed), use regular laundry detergent; you do not need to use harsh cleaning agents.
- If you suspect your pet has been poisoned (symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and seizures), seek veterinary medical help right away. Call a local emergency vet for advice and to find out whether they should see your pet. If they are not immediately available for advice, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
Want more stories like this?
This article came from the team of All Animals magazine, our award-winning publication for members. Get informative and inspiring content like this delivered right to your door.